Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Im at my wits end, and need help-easy question win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangles

Vendor
Jan 9, 2002
US
I should know this, but its been a year since I have done anything in WIN98.
I just resinstalled Win98 from win2k ( why you may ask its a long story- hardware reasons ).

anyhoot here goes.
I am trying to set or change the IRQ for my MX 300 sound card. It keeps wanting to take IRQ 10,I have tried 3 diff slots and it keeps putting it at IRQ 10, which is already being used by the VIA tech 3038 pci to USB host controller.
when I go to the properties of the multifuntion parent for the sound card, and take the check out of automatic settings, and than go to change settings ( to change the IRQ) it tell me it cannot be changed.
I have irq 3,4,7 and 9 free.

I have gone into the BIOS and set plug and play O/S to no, and have tried with yes, with the same end result.

What do I need to do please.
This is making my system lock up in games, I know its the sndcrd as when I remove it all problems go away.

Abit VA6-- with latest bios
via appolo 133 chipset
Win98 se clean install
only thing in PCI slots are
nic, and sound

Some BIOS' allow you to manually set the IRQ's for each card. If yours allows this, set each one so there is no conflict. My BIOS allows each PCI slot to manually set the IRQ, just be careful as to which slot is which!
Good luck

Rick

Some BIOS also allow you to specify the IRQ for USB...worth a look. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Description of PCI Bus IRQ Steering (Q182604)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release, versions 2 , 2.1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this article does not describe your hardware-related issue, please see the following Microsoft Web site to view more articles about hardware:

SUMMARY
This article describes Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) bus interrupt request (IRQ) steering.

MORE INFORMATION
Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2), Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me) provide support for PCI bus IRQ steering. By using PCI bus IRQ steering, Windows can dynamically assign or "steer" PCI bus IRQs to PCI devices. Note that Microsoft Windows 95 (retail release) and Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release 1 (OSR1) do not provide support for PCI bus IRQ steering.

ISA and PCI IRQs
Multiple Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) devices cannot share an ISA IRQ; however, multiple PCI devices can share a PCI IRQ. On computers that use a PCI bus, the 16-standard IRQs can be programmed to either PCI or ISA mode. An IRQ cannot be programmed for both modes at once.
How IRQs Are Assigned to PCI Devices
In Windows 95 (retail release) and OSR1, the basic input/output system (BIOS) assigns IRQs to PCI devices. With OSR2 and Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me, if PCI bus IRQ steering is disabled in Windows the BIOS assigns IRQs to PCI devices, but if PCI bus IRQ steering is enabled, Windows assigns IRQs to PCI devices. When IRQ steering is enabled the BIOS still assigns IRQs to PCI devices and, even though Windows can change these settings, it generally does not.
CardBus Cards and OSR2
PCI R3 Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (PCMCIA) cards (CardBus cards), look very similar to the more common ISA R2 PCMCIA cards. CardBus cards use 32-bit addressing and require a PCI-type shareable IRQ. R2 PCMCIA cards use 16-bit addressing with an ISA-type non- shareable IRQ. PCI bus IRQ steering gives the operating system the flexibility to reprogram PCI IRQs when it rebalances Plug and Play resources. Without PCI bus IRQ steering, Windows can rebalance only Plug and Play ISA IRQs to resolve resource conflicts.
How OSR2 and Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me Use PCI Bus IRQ Steering
PCI bus IRQ steering gives Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me the flexibility to reprogram PCI interrupts when rebalancing Plug and Play PCI and ISA resources around non-Plug and Play ISA devices. Windows 95 (retail release) and OSR1 cannot rebalance PCI and ISA IRQs for Plug and Play devices around non-Plug and Play ISA devices to solve resource conflicts.

For example, if your computer's BIOS is unaware of non-Plug and Play ISA cards, the operating system does not have PCI bus IRQ steering, and the BIOS has set a PCI device to IRQ 10, you may have a resource conflict when you add a non-Plug and Play ISA device that is configured for IRQ 10.

However, with PCI bus IRQ steering the operating system can resolve this IRQ resource conflict. To do so, the operating system:
Disables the PCI device.

Reprograms a free IRQ to a PCI IRQ, for example IRQ 11.

Assigns an IRQ holder to IRQ 11.

Moves the PCI device to IRQ 11.

Reprograms IRQ 10 to be an ISA IRQ.

Removes the IRQ holder for IRQ 10.

IRQ Holder
An IRQ Holder for PCI Steering may be displayed when you view the System Devices branch in Device Manager. An IRQ Holder for PCI Steering indicates that an IRQ has been programmed to PCI mode and is unavailable for ISA devices, even if no PCI devices are currently using the IRQ. To view IRQs that are programmed for PCI-mode:
Click Start , point to Settings , click Control Panel , and then double-click System .

Click the Device Manager tab.

Double-click to expand the System Devices branch.

Double-click the IRQ Holder for PCI Steering that you want to view, and then click the Resources tab.

How to Determine If Your Computer Is Using IRQ Steering
To determine if your computer is using IRQ Steering:
Click Start , point to Settings , click Control Panel , and then double-click System .

Click the Device Manager tab.

Double-click to expand the System Devices branch.

Double-click PCI Bus , and then click the IRQ Steering tab. You should see either the IRQ Steering Enabled or IRQ Steering Disabled settings.

NOTE : PCI bus IRQ steering is disabled by default in OSR2. If you are using OSR2 and IRQ steering is disabled, verify that the Use IRQ Steering check box is selected on the IRQ Steering tab.

IRQ Steering may be displayed as disabled in Device Manager for any of the following reasons:
If the IRQ routing table that must be provided by the BIOS to the operating system may be missing or contain errors. The IRQ routing table provides information about how the motherboard is configured for PCI IRQs.

If the Use IRQ Steering check box is not selected.

If the Get IRQ table from Protected Mode PCIBIOS 2.1 call check box is not selected.

If your computer's BIOS does not support PCI bus IRQ steering. For more information, contact the manufacturer of your BIOS.

Published Mar 17 1998 8:45AM Issue Type kbinfo
Last Modifed Jul 6 2001 8:34AM Additional Query Words HWSYSPCI 95
Keywords osr2 kbWinME kbWin95 kbWin98 kbWin98SE

You say you tried THREE differnt PCI slots.
Well, you need to keep moving it.

Also, in some, I say *some* BIOS's they tell what IRQ is assigned to each PCI slot. Use that if it is avialable. (check the manual - it will show that also)

** Do you really need the USB ?
** Do you really need THAT particular sound card ?

Almost ALL the Sound Blaster sound cards that I have ever used (hundreds), have always used IRQ 5 as default. That is where they want to setup.
For $20 plus shipping you can get a SB PCI 128 (plus shipping), or a SB LIVE 5.1 for $32 + shipping.

It looks like you have to make some choices.........
keep moving that Sound Card into some other PCI slots, disable USB, or buy a different sound card.

******** DOH! I forgot something. Since MrBojangles hasn't been working with Win98 in so long, then maybe he forgot about the ** VIA 4in1 ** driver / patch for Win98.

Mr B. You should download the latest VIA 4in1 utility to install those drivers.
* Among those is an IRQ ROUTING patch for VIA functionality.
---- 4in1 ------- version 4.38

I have found it helpful to remove all references of the card from the registry and from the computers system files (System.ini, autoexec.bat, etc.). Use regedit to search for the name of the card and the manufacturer. Look at the driver files and copy them down before removing the card (i.e., use the properties tab in device manager, select driver, then driver file details to view the file names.

Now uninstall the software and remove the device from device manager and all the associated files. Then reinstall the card and make that the BIOS is not set as plug and play. The card should now use the IRQ that the slot defaults to (I don't have the list handy and haven't used it in a while). In any case, you should be able to reassign the IRQ if plug & pray is not enabled.

Hope this helps,

Frak

I've made similar experience and have grey hair now :), no 100% solution but at least an idea what it is. Stumbled over this link:

Tried to disable USB IRQ and IRQ Steering (you find it under PCI Bus, 3rd tab, in system devices in the device manager) worked just perfect. Since I need USB this is what I meant with no solution :-(

Hope this helps,

McTry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back