Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator stalling at start-up 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

annew

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
Hello,

My Illustrator 10 is getting hung up on the Illustrator.exe during start up. Somewon seggested that I remove the AIprefs file which I did, but this did not help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Anne

Okay, i had exactly the problem described here. I am running a P3 866MHz with Illustrator 10, a pirated copy using the date trick and a crack app. As said before, when i opened Illustrator it would stall on "Loading Fonts" and nicely hog all my computer's resources.
So, what worked for me was to go to Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Fonts folder and remove all my excess fonts i had (i had about 4,600 running!). tried it, it still didn't work. I had three font list versions running in the same folder. So i removed the two newer of the three versions. Tried running Illustrator again and BOOM! Like a well lubricated cam shaft.... anyway, hope this helps.

>Illustrator 10, a pirated copy using the date trick and a crack app.

Very classy, bucksta.
-rj

Thanks Raphbenn

OS X, G4, Jaguar - I went to Library/Application Support/Adobe/fonts & found several versions of AdobeFnt.lst in both the Fonts folder as well as the Reqrd/Cmaps folder - no wonder Illustrator was confused. I deleted them all, reopened Illustrator & it created a new list. I closed & reopened it a couple of times & now it opens quickly & seems quite stable. And there are no other lists at the moment so maybe this will fix it.

Ok, I recently reformatted my computer. It's got a newly installed windows XP (with all updates), and Illustrator 10 (with it's most recent patch) installed on it. Like a few of the earlier post, it hangs up for 2-4 minutes during startup when it says "Loading startup settings..."
I've tried replacing the fonts, fontlists and aiprefs...but it's still loading very slowly. I've uninstalled other software I thought might be conflicting, but can't get Illustrator to load quickly...... Any help would be much appreciated.

-Chris

Is there a way to limit the recently opened files list in Illustrator to just one file?

This relates to Illusrator's slow startup. I had loaded a bunch of additional fonts, but then removed them to another folder when the problem started. This didn't make a difference. What did work was when I went back in and removed: AdobeFnt05.lst (placed it in another folder for safekeeping). The next time I started Illustrator it worked fine.
Good luck to all!
-Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back