Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator stalling at start-up 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

annew

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
Hello,

My Illustrator 10 is getting hung up on the Illustrator.exe during start up. Somewon seggested that I remove the AIprefs file which I did, but this did not help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Anne

what is it loading when it hangs? If it says loading fonts, you have too many fonts in your systems font folder.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

This is also happening to me at startup. It says
"Loading Plugins... illustrator.exe"
Then it sits there forever. The process is using 99 percent of the system resources.
I have deleted the AIP and also tried getting rid of the preferences file. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Someone even suggested putting a illustrator.exe shortcut in the plugins file and I even tried that. No luck. Any suggestions? It used to work, by the way.

delete, or move your aiprefs file. You may have to show hidden system files to find it.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

I've noticed several threads dealing with this very problem. None of them seem to come to a resolution. Is this problem unsolvable? Has Tek-Tips been bested?!

There's been no concrete answer. It's always assumed you've fully upgraded both your OS and the application in question with all patches/fixes. Some of the answers that have shed light are:

[li]Uninstall all adobe software then makeing sure photoshop is the first app installed.[/li]

[li]Launching photoshop first before illustrator[/li]

[li]Purging the systems font folder of all fonts not installed by applications[/li]

but the most effective one seems to be
[li]deleting the aiprefs file.[/li]

Well I've tried the aiprefs deletion. The fonts deletion seems to be tied to the start up freeze when it stops on the "loading fonts" message but I guess I could try that.
I've tried the starting Photoshop first.
I am reluctant to uninstall all adobe software cause, dang that's a lot of software but maybe I'll have to try it.

Hello, I'm also experiencing this type of problem. Everything worked fine, but one day this just started happening:

1. Hangs at start up on "loading startup settings" It literaly takes 4 minutes to open illustrator.

2. If I copy an object i.e. a rectangle, it takes at least 1 minute to copy it.

3. When pasting what I have copied it takes just as long

4. When opening a file it takes a long time too

I checked my Task manager and it says that the "Memory Usage" is up to 94,300K+ !!! I've defrag my drive, uninstalled and installed illustrator, repaired it, closed all the other programs, and still no results. Please help! Thank you so much in advance.

I am also experiencing the problem with Illustrator 10 stalling on start up. I am using OS X and Extensis Suitcase and all of my other programs are loading fine except this one. Even after it finally starts up it hangs and drags and if I leave the program to do anything at all for any matter of time it closes unexpectantly. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also experiencing the same problem. Have deleted the AIprefs file. Honestly, I am running a cracked version of ten on a win2k pc to see how it works, whether it works. I have a legit copy of 10 on a g4 867 running osx and it has never had this problem. I have over 1000 fonts on that machine. The symptoms of Ill. 10 on the PC are exactly the same as those described in the previous posts. I have also re-installed the program, have watched the task manager at startup and nothing out of the ordinary pops up during launch of Illustr. ( 99% sys resources used up). I suspect a communication with the adobe mothership and a sleeper file created based on detected serial number in use by others. Paranoia? But if all the others in this thread are also running cracked versions, pre-registered/borrowed software in use by others, etc. , it could be a possibility, NO? Any thoughts anyone? Solutions would be great.

I'm having the same hang-up problem as dkw007 and zooinhat when I leave the program and come back to it again. I am using a registered version which is not installed on any other computer, so I don't think that's the issue. I just recently upgraded to CS version and I don't have this problem at all - only version 10.

Solutions would definately be appreciated.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but it seems as if it's a font problem causing my Illustrator to sometimes simply guit while opening. Whenever it quits, I turn off Times in Suitcase and then it opens fine. I am woking in OS X and none of my other programs have the same problem. I have checked the font with FontDoctor & replaced from other sources - just can't seem to fix it for good.

HAD the same problem. What a pain...

In C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe there is a Fonts folder. I had a TON of fonts in there (Thousands). I moved that folder out and Illustrator started right up. I guess I need to learn how to use a font manager. Any suggestions on a good one?

I use Extensis Font Suitcase which I love. I have a few friends who use Font Reserve but I am sticking to what I have. I like the on the spot viewing of fonts and the fact that it automatically activates fonts when I pull something off an archive CD. Saves a lot of time.

The only hassle thus far is the Illustrator stalling on start-up. I only keep about 100 fonts active in my system but I am still experiencing this problem. I am beginning to suspect that this is a flaw in Illustrator X because nothing seems to help it.

I run extensis suitcase on a g4. i have around 700 fonts installed, 200 active at a time and run illustrator 10 with no probs. you should go to thier site and get any new updates.

It was definitely a conflict with the version of Adobe Times I was using - even though FontDoctorX said it was fine. I spent a few minutes installing & uninstalling some of the versions of Times available on our various computers and finally came up with one that Illustrator is comfortable with. Now it opens just fine - no hanging or sudden quitting.

I am using Extensis Suitcase 10.2.2 on a G4 with OS X Jaguar with something like 1700 fonts and other than this problem (Times and Illustrator) and a similar problem with Safari and Adobe Helvetica, it is very solid. I prefer opening a large number of fonts in Suitcase to having them all in my system font folder.

Same problem as the first post......
Stops loading at "scanning for plug-ins... Illustrator.exe"
ARG.....
I have tried EVERYTHING that EVERY post has said to do...
still no luck....
It DOES load after about a half hour.... haha

I fixed mine... after a YEAR of trying!!!!
It was getting stuck in the splash screen on : scanning for plug-ins... illustrator.exe

Here is how I fixed it... It was all about the color settings:
1. Remove the Illustrator 10 plug-ins folder.....
2. Start Illustrator (It should start now.. maybe with a plug-ins error message)
3. Go to Edit--> Color Settings
4. I dont know if this is what fixed it... but then I selected "Color Management Off"
5. Restarted Illustrator... it worked.
6. Restarted my computer
7. Opened Illustrator.... Looked in the Color Settings again....
8. Now it says Settings: Custom Monitor RGB-sRGB IEC61966-2.1 but "advanced mode" isn't checked
9. Color Management policies: RGB: off CMYK: off

That's how I did it... I really hope it is fixed for good... i have restarted once... and it worked.. so yeah.

Ok I think i figured out the problem. The stalling seems to be from a corrupt font list. It seems that when you delete a font from the operating system it corrupts the adobe font list file. So at start up it is looking for the deleted font in the list. All I did was remove all of the font lists from

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts"

and then started illustrator. When illustrator is started back up it then creates a new font list. From there the program should work fine.

I believe there is another list for the plugins as well. So of it is stalling at plugins on the splash screen i will bet the problem relies in a corrupt plugin list from a deleted plugin.

I hope this helps everyone!

-Raphael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back