Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator Drop Shadow problem has no Blur

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecoles

Technical User
Aug 24, 2003
US
I work mostly on the Mac Illustrator 8 and 10. Lately I have had to take files to the PC with Illustrator 10. The Blurred Drop Shadows from the Mac look fine on the PC. But when I resize them, or cut and paste, the shadows turn solid, no blur.

Also, new Drop Shadows are solid, not blurred, regardless of the setting on the Blur selection.

Other of the effect filters don't seem to work properly either. I am sure that this is something easy that I am missing. Probably the PC doesn't like my Mac.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EC

Make sure you are saving any AI8 files from the Mac. up to AI10, and ensure they scale in AI10 before proceeding, if necessary, recreate the shadows in 10 on the Mac first.

If your filters in AI10 on the PC work in other files (either created on the PC or from the Mac) then it could be that the file itself has perhaps been partially corrupted. Try opening a new document with the same attributes (On the PC) and pasting all objects into the other file (go layer by layer, but try the layer w/ the drop shadow first to see).

Also, make sure the drop shadow filters are in the filters folder for both programs, they should be if you haven't taken them out (obvious.)

Finally, it never hurts to keep everything updated (AI10.0.3) (obvious.)

At the very worst, (would limit some editability) you could rasterize the shadows at your output resolution before saving it out of the Mac.

Transparency still is a touchy subject w/ AI.

Sef.

It is alright to decorate construction, but never construct decoration. - Pugin, on Arch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back