Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator CS2 font list has disappeared from control bar box

Status
Not open for further replies.

piaff1

Technical User
Dec 9, 2000
GB
I have suddenly lost my list of fonts from when I click on character on the control bar. When I access Type-Font they are all there but instead of having variations of font the selection regular appears several times. I updated to Acrobat Reader 9 yesterday and it seems more than coincidence that this has suddenly occurred. I have reset my preferences file and done a repair of my installation but still doesn't work. I have no problem in Photoshop CS3 that is working fine. I am using Windows Vista Business.

...if illustrator is really problematic when using you may also want to try removing the whole "Adobe Illustrator CS2 Settings" folder out of the "Roaming" folder (rather than just the aiprefs)...

User/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS2 Settings

andrew

============
============

Hi piaff1 :)

I have the same issue here.
Did you find a way to fix it?

Thanks!

I haven't as yet, but I found a post where someone said that they had. What they did was to download the latest trial version of Illustrator, use it for a few days then uninstall it. When asked "Do you want to remove the pref file" say no. It retains the preferences from the latest copy and then the old copy on the PC now works correctly. I haven't tried this yet as I only found this answer a couple of days ago, but I am hoping that this will be the solution. Let me know how you get on please.

Using this guide, you should be able to find your preferences file. I would rename it rather than delete it. Launch AI, make a change in your preferences then quit out. Normally you can just delete the newly created prefs file and change the name of the renamed one back to the original. That way you don't loose all of your prefs and will usually fix these types of bugs.

Follow me on twitter or just ask me anything. @ask_illustrator
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Thanks but I've done everything I could find on the internet without any success (I have CS2).

I've removed all the *.lst files, deleted all the preferences files, uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator, reinstalled Adobe Acrobat. Nothing did the job.

It's driving me nut :(

Personally I've never had a font preview from app control bar but can easily toggle previews from Type->Font and the Character panel drop down via the Type section in preferences.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Yeah but it's a real pain in the ass when you have lots of fonts and need to use a font that is located right at the bottom of the list. Takes years! That's not what I call productivity.

In all font drop down menu's you can use your mouse wheel to scroll through them a bit faster. I do however think Adobe could improve on a number of things including a better way to present loaded fonts.

A couple of tips on speeding things up.
1) If you know the name of the font, you can just start typing it after inserting your cursor into the name field.

2) I wrote a FAQ on managing fonts a long time ago but it might still be helpful.
The idea to have as few fonts loaded at any one time as possible.

3) You can create Character Styles (WIndow->Type->Character Styles) which make it easy to apply frequently used fonts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back