Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator CS is acting weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaidomac

Technical User
Oct 23, 2004
US
I have Adobe CS and use Illustrator a lot. I believe I have some sort of software interferance going on, but I haven't been able to figure out what's causing it yet. I run a number of macro applications and I suspect one of them may be the culprit, although I've tried killing off the processes and I still have problems. The problem only occurs in my Adobe CS programs, nothing else. For example, I'll open up Illustrator CS and start working, but the toolbar menu will act strangley. I won't be able to click on or otherwise select a tool from the icons available in the toolbar palette. Sometimes they'll be selected a minute or two after. It's very strange. Has anyone run into this before?

Here's a short list of the oddball apps I use:
StrokeIt
MacroExpress
MouseWare (Logitech mouse drivers)
LogiGamer
ShuttleXpress software

About a year ago I had some weird AI gui problems with toolbars, settings, and continuously changing layout. I have CS2 now; I have them much less. If it isn't software inteference; you might try resetting AI Pref/setting files. Whenever my problems would pop up, I would remove MY settings, restart the program (it will revert to ITs settings. When/if I wanted my settings back, I'd simply put them back in the directory and overwrite the setting files AI created. This was a while ago, I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly but..

Go to Dir: documents and settings \"user"\Application data\Adobe\Illustrator (that's the general direction anyhow)

There should be a few setting files, presets, and maybe a couple other directories. AIPrefs : is what you may want to reset. Move the file to your desktop. Start AI, and it will create a new file in its place. If it fixes it but you want your old settings, mover your file back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back