Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator 9.0 conflict with Acrobat 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratajai

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
I cannot save certain documents, I have to do a svae as for a work around. The error message reads "Acrobat PDF file format is having difficulties". I have removed acrobat and reinstalled & I have reinstalled Illustrator once so far. Any ideas?

Best,

[j]

Justin Adleff • JUXTAFLO •

The problem is that you are trying to use a version of acrobat which does not support the times you now can use in the newer version of Illustrator. You will either have to update Acrobat or you will have to leave out the items which it doesn't support.
Sorry I could not be of any other help.

pamela

Try printing a postscript file, or saving as eps, and run it through Distiller.

The ILL pdf export is not good - nowhere near as good as Photoshop or Indesign. This is noted in ILL documentation.

sorry jm...I did find saving as a eps works as a work around, however what exactly do you mean by "run it through distiller"?

Just to clarify, I am not even trying to save a .pdf or anything, I am just trying to save regular .ai files and I get that error message. I even tried to uninstall Acrobat & save my Illustrator docs as a .ai file...still got the air message. Funny enough I have no problem saving as a .pdf.

??

-[j]

Justin Adleff • ID • Graphic Design •

>

when you get the Save window, look at the bottom - Fromat and see what shows. If PDF is there instead of Illustrator, try changing to ILL and see what happens. sometimes apps have a way of defaulting back to the way something was saved before.

Also check yur preferences for File Handling/clipboard and see if PDF is selected. OLL might recognize a copied pdf and got to pdf format for saving.

If you're still getting messed up even though you've selected .ai as the save format and not pdf as the clipboard, your prefernces are most likely corrupted. Often reinstalling does not replace the prefs folder so a problem persists.

On mac, quit ILL go to System Folder/Preferences and trash Adobe Illustrator prefs. On PC quit ILL, do a search (showing hidden files) for "aiprefs" or "ai prefs" and, if you get it, trash it. Relaunch and see if problem is still there.

You might consider reinstalling ILL after you've trashed prefs, but yu should not have generally have to.

Thanks again for the ideas. I trashed the prefs today...and no sunshine. I will try a clean install soon, and hopefully that will do it. Oddly enough this is something that just started occuring after using this system for about 20 days...who knows what I changed. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your time.

-justin

Justin Adleff • ID • Graphic Design •

>

FYI, The pdf format that's referred to in the error message points to the file you're trying to save, and has nothing to do with Acrobat, or even trying to save as a pdf. As you may (or I suppose may not, judging from all the posts in this thread) know, pdf is the native format that Illustrator has been using since version 9. This is also why you can open most native Illustrator files in Acrobat Reader simply by changing the file extension to pdf.

So, don't look into Acrobat related issues any more to tackle this issue, but rather try copying and pasting the file content into a fresh Illustrator document, and save that. The pdf/difficulties thing will come up from time to time, and is usually an indication there's some type of corruption in the file. Those are the breaks.

Bert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back