Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator 10 freezes on splash screen and program won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

rimshotweb

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
US
Hi there.
I am having the WORSTTTTT trouble here trying to open Illustrator 10 Build 76. I installed it a few days ago and all worked fine. I turned my computer on the next day, and did some work prior to trying to open illustrator. I tried to open illustrator and the splash screen appeared like normal. That screen tells you what is loading and stuff... It wen't through until it hit " Scanning for plug-ins... Illustrator.exe "
It stalls there and the CPU usage goes up to 99%. I have tried reinstalling a dozen times. I have tried removing Photoshop and then installing Illustrator... I have tried reinstalling my Display drivers..
The weird thing is, when I TOTALLY remove the "Plug-Ins" folder in the Adobe Illustrator 10 folder, it works... The program says it can't find two plugins, but then it opens....
So i figured there was a screwed up plugin... So i try putting in the plugins one by one, but as soon as i put more than one folder in the plugin folder it does the stall thing.
Thanks for the help.
-rimshotweb

Im not using 10 yet but when I have that problem with 9 I have found that oddly enough, launching photoshop seems to shake illustrator out of it. I've been trying to find out why AI will just start doing this for a while and the best I can come up with is that it has something to with being aloud to completely shut down before running another app. I think once you do launch another app too quickly after closing AI it kinks something. I have just sat before and waited for the app to finish loading un-aided and when it finally did, a lot of functions would hang up the app for a few seconds at a time like copying, new document etc. Now I am just in the habbit of opening photoshop first thing every day. AI always seems to load without a hitch when I do that. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

hey rimshotweb, did you ever get it to work. I'm having the same problem. Could you help me out if you have the solution.

Hey guys...
I am RIMSHOTWEB... just had to get another name or whatever...
Sooo yeah.. I still haven't figured out that problem.
I went back to Illustrator 9 which runs fine... I just uninstalled it and tried installing a fresh Illustrator 10...even after having cleaned the registry and hardrive of all Illustrator-related items.
NO LUCK...
I stilll get that message... "Scanning for plug-ins... Illustrator.exe"
I went to lunch after having tried to load it... after a half hour I sat back down and it was fully loaded... HMMM
Any help out there???
Thanks a lot! :)
Rimshotweb/NewcNet

I fixed mine... after a YEAR of trying!!!!
It was getting stuck in the splash screen on : scanning for plug-ins... illustrator.exe

Here is how I fixed it... It was all about the color settings:
1. Remove the Illustrator 10 plug-ins folder.....
2. Start Illustrator (It should start now.. maybe with a plug-ins error message)
3. Go to Edit--> Color Settings
4. I dont know if this is what fixed it... but then I selected "Color Management Off"
5. Restarted Illustrator... it worked.
6. Restarted my computer
7. Opened Illustrator.... Looked in the Color Settings again....
8. Now it says Settings: Custom Monitor RGB-sRGB IEC61966-2.1 but "advanced mode" isn't checked
9. Color Management policies: RGB: off CMYK: off

That's how I did it... I really hope it is fixed for good... i have restarted once... and it worked.. so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back