Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illustrator 10 Freeze while "Reading Fonts..." 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

onerising

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
US
greetings...

i've been happily using illustrator 10 for a few months. i recently installed it on a new machine running Windows XP, and it's been working for a little over a week. Suddenly, yesterday, it froze on me, and I haven't been able to restart it since. It freezes when the splash screen comes up and "reading Fonts..." is displayed. When I CTRL-ALT-DELETE, the processes tab in XP tells me it's taking anywhere from 90-100% of system resources. I'ce uninstalled and re-installed several times, but to no avail. Any ideas?

craig s.

NEVER MIND.... I found an almost identical thread a few pages deeper. Thanks anyway.

ACTUALLY..... STILL NOT WORKING!

I've removed all non-system fonts and the program still won't load. what's worse, i can't remove it using the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS tool, so i can't re-install! Help!

Hmm, sounds like your install got jacked. Try re-installing right over the top of it and then uninstalling, then reinstalling. I know its tedious but the alternative is an OS reinstall. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

I had the same problem! It *might* have something to do with the install location?

GOT IT!
Found the following entry on an adobe.com forum:
Delete any copy of adobefnt*.lst you can find.
It worked... for my system.
Good Luck!

I spent all day with this problem, uninstalling, reinstalling and restarting when I should've gone to tek-tips right away!

Thanks guys!

nickname89's suggestion is the one that worked. just deleted all copies of adobefnt*.lst and the problem was gone. and it didn't affect the actual functioning of the program.

i worried that the program automatically created those files, and so i would have to keep deleting them on a regular basis, but... no problem so far.

thanks.

The program does automatically create those files. they just get jacked sometimes. "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

As nickname89 suggests, plus delete all files named Adobefnt05.lst

What am I doing wrong? This didn't work for me - I am still hanging when reading fonts.

My first post...I just stumbled across this forum after many,many frustrated hours and days with this very problem!! You guys rock!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! I notice one guy still having probs...here's what I did, just run a search for adobefnt and see where to find them all. Then do what everyone says, delete the lot!! Thanks again everyone.

I've deleted the adobefnt*.lst as followed, but then it says "this application has failed to start because ACE.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. What are the next steps to deleting AI entirely? HELP PLEASE.

Biyun

yeah i have a qd3d.dll missing when i start illustrator as well as a word3d.aip missing, is this the same thing?

Jeddog
(new at this)

Thanks for this info...cured the lock up wonderfully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back