Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illus CS2 and older versions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksims

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
Is there any reason to keep older versions of Illustrator on the hard drive? I don't think I need to open older files on the older version.

Just wondering if I am missing some reason to keep my versions 8 and 9 on the hard drive.

thanks
nick

It depends on the user. If you don't see a reason then you probably don't need them.

Just what I needed to know.

Thanks.
Nick

Nick -

Do you also have 10? There was apparently a very large change in the text engine and files made in 10 and before do not work well with CS2 (THAT I can vouch for). So if you have 10 it is probably OK to get rid of 8 and 9 assuming you don't need to keep them for update reasons (that is you bought the update and not the full version so need the older versions on your machine - some programs require several previous versions some not -- I am not sure about Illy).

You might want to do a bit more research on this before deleting [smile]

Nikki Fay

Thanks Nikki.

I only made it as far as 9.0.2 and then held off on updates for a while. I now have the CS2 suite and loaded the whole puppy. I just ditched the older versions and so far, no problems. At least for one day! And I freed up a chunk of memory to boot.

I know I've seen others who like to open some files in the older versions. I'm not sure why. I haven't had the need to. I was concerned about odd things, kind of like what you mentioned. But the minor text problems I can have would be easily corrected. In general, my worst text problem is recognizing the font and that ususally is because I didn't load the font correctly on the newer computer. So I can say that so far, I have been really happy with the new text features.

Thanks for your advice.
Nick

Glad it is working for you. If you ever have to use someone else's file and it causes a problem you can probably reinstall. Others have and it seems to work.

I started with CS and then CS2 so have no real experience with older versions except for the files of others. I do know that when I open an old file (in this case from Japan and a MAC) I can't do a thing with the text. Sure there are reasons why. Luckily I usually only need the graphics in the file [smile]

Nikki Fay
Beginning and Intermediate Illustrator Tutorials featuring CS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back