Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Illegal operation in Plus.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulFynch

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2002
CA
Good day,
I am the IT Coordinator at our orginization;
we are having a problem with ACCPAC Plus on 2 separate accounting machines. Both machines are running Win98 Second Edition with all available updates from Microsoft. It seems that after first boot in the morning, if any print is attempted from Plus, the system kicks out to Windows and gives us an illegal operation error that shows up in a window on the bottom right of the desktop (not the BSOD).
After restarting, Plus seems to print fine for a time but occasionally (and spuratically) locks up and freezes the entire machine, but mostly when printing. The windows system manager is version 7.0, and most modules are version 6.5a.
Any suggestions or help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Paul Fynch

Hi Paul,

Firstly, is this a new problem or something that has just developed ? Have you added any new print services (or drivers) that may be preventing the DOS window from accessing the LPT port, and are you printing locally or through the network. Have you installed the most recent PTF's from Computer Associates ?

Michael Gillen CNE

Hi,

Me 2 facing same problem.
When I print to local printer, it works fine. And when I print to network printer, it goes freeze the whole machine. BTW, I am using ACCPAC Plus 6.1 on windows 2000 pro.

Pls, advise!

Update on the situation....
i just freshly rebuilt one machine, 98se, updates, office 2k. the 2 machines are running different printers but have the same problem. also, it seems that there is not a problem with with windows 98se UNTIL i install accpac window systems manager and run it. after that, the computer will not shut down, restart, and gradually starts to freeze. Now any of you that own this software know that accpac will not offer tech support unless you pay through the teeth, but i seem to think it is not a problem with windows, but accpac.

Any help would be appreciated....
Paul Fynch

Hi Paul
I am facing the same problem. Have you fixed it? and how?
Thanks.
Henry

Henry,

What version of Windows are you using on the client and on the server? What is your WSM & LanPak version? What network type is LanPak configured with?

Rick

Rick,
It is a stand alone computer with Window 98SE. It works with other window-based software such as Words, Excel with no printing problems except Accpac Plus. I am using Accpac Windows Manager V6.5A, and only General Ledger module V6.1A. In Accpac, it has no problems if it prints only to screen but if it prints to printer then the screen turns black and freezed. The only printer is HP 680C. It is not the printer problem because it works with other computers. My friend told me Accpac has a batch file to fix this problem but when I called Accpac Technical Support they said they don't have such batch file. I guess it is because Accpac Plus is a DOS program and some other window programs prevent the printer to print any DOS program, or some other reasons.
Henry

Hi all,

Your problem may be with the printer. HP has come out with some printer models that DO NOT work with DOS programs. They only work with Windows drivers. What HP has done is remove and fonts and workings from the printer and lets Windows handle the work.

I'm not familar with the HP 680. I also can not find it listed on HP's site. Were did you get this Printer? Some of the large Superstores are getting unique model numbers.

Try printing with another printer, or in WIN98 go to a DOS box and try directing a "dir" listing to the printer.

If this also gives you errors it's most likly the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back