Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iisvdir create virtual directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

twcman

Programmer
Jun 28, 2001
US
I am trying to use iisvdir to create a virtual diretory. If my directory is local, the command works fine.
iisvdir /create w3svc/1/root Testme c:\testdir

However, if I try to use a remote share like this:
iisvdir /create w3svc/1/root Testme \\server\testfolder

where testfolder is properly shared on the other server, iisvdir chokes and tells me to use drive:\folder. Documentation says that it should work, but, does not give any examples....

Any advice?

Chris Scott
The Whole Computer Medical Systems

I looked up technet and saw this:
Syntax
iisvdir /create WebSite[/VirtualPath] Name PhysicalPath [/s Computer [/u [Domain\]User /p Password]]

Top of page
Parameters
WebSite

Required. Specifies the descriptive name, or the metabase path, of the Web site.

VirtualPath

Specifies a path, if necessary, to the virtual directory within the Web site. This parameter is required when the virtual directory is not located at the root of the Web site.

Name

Required. Specifies a name for the virtual directory. Virtual directory names do not have to be unique. However, when a Web site includes a virtual directory and a physical directory with the same name, the physical directory will not be visible on the Internet.

PhysicalPath

Specifies a physical directory where the content for the virtual directory resides. You must specify a path on the local computer, such as C:\Project\HTML. If the specified directory does not exist, iisvdir will create it.

/s Computer

Runs the script on the specified remote computer. [!]Type the computer name or IP address without backslashes[/!]. The default is the local computer.

[monkey][snake] <.

thanks for your response, but, that created the virtual in IIS on the /s server. Basically, it ran the script remotely. I need the virtual to be in IIS on the server I run the script on but have the virutal setup as "a share located on another computer" and have it point to \\differentserver\share.

Chris Scott
The Whole Computer Medical Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back