Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS5 won't load ASP pages - help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadProfessor

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
GB
Sounds ridiculous I know, but today, for some unknown reason my local server (running IIS5 on Windows2000 Professional) refuses to load any asp pages. It will quite happily serve up .htm and .cfm files, but steadfastly refuses to open any .asp.

I have uninstalled IIS and re-installed, but no luck. I have made sure all the execute permissions are configured correctly. It SHOULD work, but doesn't.

Any ideas at all what the problem could be?

have you started the web service? are the files in the inetpub directory???
Bastien

There are many ways to skin this cat,
but it still tastes like chicken

Yes, I've checked all that. As I said, it loads all other pages (.htm, .cfm) OK, just not the .asp pages.

you should check the file extensions section, im not exactly sure where it is, somewhere in the setting of IIS (for like the main webserver listing) and make sure that .asp is still listed in there..

i never had this problem, but I had to add file extensions for .wml files so that my webserver would serve them

i think if you go into the properties of the site..under one of the tabs is a MIME Types or File Extensions button..it might be in there..

hope this helps..

Thanks for this - asp wasn't in the file extension, so I added it, but the problem hasn't gone away. Any other ideas?

what does the Browser when it does not load your ASP files? Blessed is he who in the name of justice and good will, shepards the week through the valley of darknees...

It takes ages (30mins+), but eventually just displays a 'page can't be found' message. The paths are all correct and the pages are on the server. It's wierd. All other non asp pages load fine.

It's extrange but.... IIS5 don't need a third part for load asp files. Are you sure to mark the option in the install for load asp files? Thanks.
SunStorm

In the bottom of the page that the browser returns you see something like "HTTP 500 Internal Server Error" or "500-13 Server is busy" either the IIS is crushed and you will have to reinstall it(I know you have tried, try an uninnstall-innstall, not an overwrite), either something is wrong on it(maybe you have registered an ISAPI that is bad and occupies the server).

There might be another posibility, that your ASP.DLL file is damaged. Try to replace it(compare the sizes and date of modification on replace - maybe you have even a virus).

Hope of being of some help, s-)

Blessed is he who in the name of justice and good will, shepards the week through the valley of darknees...

Today we had a similar problem with IIS 5.0 and asp pages.
The return on the pages was saying HTTP 500 Internal server error. Nothing much more. The problem turned out to be solvable when we applied what was in Then we could "SEE" a verbose description of the error and discovered we had forgotten to REGSVR32 our custom dll's that were called by the pages. Once we did that all was forgiven and it worked.

Hope that helps.
Tom
Go Canucks! (rabid Vancouver Canucks Fan)

In the end I have reinstalled IIS for a third time and then updated windows 2000 & IE5 with the latest service packs. This fixed it. Still not really sure what the actual problem was but fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back