Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS4 Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousematt

MIS
Feb 5, 2001
GB
On our intranet we have an IT section with passwords etc and need it to only be avaliable to the it group, it also has asp's when ever someone trys looking at this section it comes up with this error;
HTTP Error 401
401.2 Unauthorized: Logon Failed due to server configuration

This error indicates that the credentials passed to the server do not match the credentials required to log on to the server. This is usually caused by not sending the proper header field.

Please contact the Web server's administrator to verify that you have permission to access to requested resource.

Does any one know where i'm going wrong, even if i put it back to anonymous it still comes up with error:access denied

HELP!

Hi there mousematt.

are you running a proxy server of any kind on your intranet?

Yes MS Proxy 2, I've given IUSER_<server> NTFS permissions to most of the folders and they seem to be ok, but I don't think that they are working as when i take off anonymous and just have NT Authentication it still gives me a permissions error.

The error is saying that the password you supplied isn't correct. We had problems using challenge response over an intranet when a proxy was involved. Have you enabled access control on the proxy? If you have, try turning it off, and see if that is causing the problem. IIS does not allow you to supply transient authentication, so you may want to check to see if the web server in your domain or a workgroup: so it can access the domain sam database. Also if the correct ntfs permissions have been placed on the folder that contains the asp pages.

It is There are some knowledge base articles from Microsoft relating to this.

and

there is also a FAQ page for proxy server.

Hope this helps.

I've just had a very similar issue, but found that it only affected some users. I had Windows Challenge Response enabled and eventually found that many proxy servers don't support it. I've had to enable Basic Authentication to get round it, which I believe is a bit of a security risk (passwords are sent in clear text), so might have to look into SSL.

So try enabling Basic Authentication and make sure that the users have &quot;Log on locally&quot; access rights to the NT server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back