Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi everybody!

I'm running Windows XP Professional and tried to get Internet Information
Server set up for fooling around a bit. So when I go to the Internet
Management Console (or whatever its called, I've got a German version here)
beside the Default Website there's this red error symbol. If try to restart
it, I get a dialogue box stating that the unexpected error 0x8ffe2740
occured. I can't find anything in the MS KB, so maybe some of you experts
here could give me some advice.

Thanks in advance for all responses,

I face the same error mgs when I try to run IIS on windows xp pro because I have installed oracle 8i(NT version). After I stop the Apach.exe and Oracle.exe and start IIS, it works. My question is that there is any way to not start Apache when I start my computer. Because it will take 5min to start after I installed Oracle8i.

I face the same error mgs when I try to run IIS on windows xp pro because I have installed oracle 8i(NT version). After I stop the Apach.exe and Oracle.exe and start IIS, it works. My question is that there is any way to not start Apache when I start my computer. Because it will take 5min to start after I installed Oracle8i.

el salam alaykom,

sometimes, you have to go out of your way and use MS.
i had apache/mySQL/php4 running great on WindowsXP pro at work.

i had to use ASP, had to install IIS, had that problem. solved it by stopping Apache.

thats a fast solution.

*you can easily have both Apache and IIS running.

Thank you Guys,
I have managed to get the IIS server up and running. I also had the same error message 'Unexpected error 0x8ffe2740' when trying to start my IIS server. AS per your valuable feedbacks I went to the Apache HTTP services and stopped it. Infact I have oracle 9i installed on my XP machine. thank you once again.

Venu

This particular problem can occur during an installation or reinstallation of IIS 5.0. You may find yourself in this situation when you install Windows 2000 and due to some difficulty encountered during the installation, IIS does not start. Reinstallations may be necessary if a problem is caused by a problem that occurred during the initial installation of Windows 2000, where IIS 5.0 is installed by default or IIS 4.0 is upgraded to IIS 5.0. You can fix the problem as follows:

Remove IIS
Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the:
%Windir%\Profiles\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\Rsa\MachineKeys directory.

Rename the Machinekeys folder to Machinekeys1
Reinstall IIS.
If all goes well, and it should, delete the Machinekeys1 folder. You can find additional information on this problem and solution in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q282775.

This particular problem can occur during an installation or reinstallation of IIS 5.0. You may find yourself in this situation when you install Windows 2000 and due to some difficulty encountered during the installation, IIS does not start. Reinstallations may be necessary if a problem is caused by a problem that occurred during the initial installation of Windows 2000, where IIS 5.0 is installed by default or IIS 4.0 is upgraded to IIS 5.0. You can fix the problem as follows:

Remove IIS
Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the:
%Windir%\Profiles\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\Rsa\MachineKeys directory.

Rename the Machinekeys folder to Machinekeys1
Reinstall IIS.
If all goes well, and it should, delete the Machinekeys1 folder. You can find additional information on this problem and solution in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q282775.

Wayne186(MIS) is the man! Thanks Wayne. I changed my port to 8080 and now it works great!

I run Windows XP and just installed IIS 5.1. I added a virtual directory, but when I typed it into my browser as the borwser came back with a Page not found. So I thought I just try with the bog standard Same result : Page not found. I
deinstalled IIS and reinstalled it to get a "pristine" copy. Same result. I vaguely recalled from a previous IIS installation that I needed to select an IP address and I did. There were 2 available and I selected the first one.
Same result.

If I ping the computer, it seems to work on that first IP address I selected before, it is pinging it and comes back with some result.

What am I doing wrong??? What else do I need to set up?

What confuses me is that some of the documentation talks about an asterisk indicating the server. I have no asterisk in the IIS window.

Anybody any ideas please.

Desperate.

Thanks.

I run Windows XP and just installed IIS 5.1. I added a virtual directory, but when I typed it into my browser as the borwser came back with a Page not found. So I thought I just try with the bog standard Same result : Page not found. I
deinstalled IIS and reinstalled it to get a "pristine" copy. Same result. I vaguely recalled from a previous IIS installation that I needed to select an IP address and I did. There were 2 available and I selected the first one.
Same result.

If I ping the computer, it seems to work on that first IP address I selected before, it is pinging it and comes back with some result.

What am I doing wrong??? What else do I need to set up?

What confuses me is that some of the documentation talks about an asterisk indicating the server. I have no asterisk in the IIS window.

Anybody any ideas please.

Desperate.

Thanks.

I had Apache server installed, I uninstalled the Apache server and now it works fine.

I agree with "diarymonster.com". When running IIS and zonealarm together and stoppong and restarting IIS several time, you will get the 0x8ffe2740 error. If you shutdown ZoneAlarm, everything goes fine. I contact the Support of ZoneAlarm once I get an answer I'll get back to you

okay.. i hate this!! i'm running windows xp professional, i installed IIS, my problem is i keep getting 'the page cannont be displayed' error. Can anyone help me out? like step by step styles, i'm new to asp, i bought some books and stuff, and right now they're useless to me and to the the world.

I experienced the same problem with the described error ... after I'd read most of your articles I've watched the configuration of my ProxyPlus Server ... there I had Port 4480 configured and in the main properties of IIS I still had Port 80 ... I changed both values to 8080 and the problem disapeared!

You guys put me on the right track ... thanks a lot!!!

i get the same error but it only started happening when i updated to the latest version of zonealarm (which is nasty looking and it makes life hard when you have a shared internet connection!!) i think im gona get rid of that version and get an older one

yup!!! worked a older version zone alarms worked fine .... and my shared internet connection works fine now!

Phoenix32 -- What older version of ZoneAlarm did you go back to? I have 3.0.118 and am still having the problem. Having to reinstall IIS 5.1 if I stop the webserver.

How can I check what is using my port 21?
I run on Windows XP and I want to use set up my ftp server. I've tried to use different ftp server programs (IIS, FTP server etc) but IIS gives me the 0x8ffe2740 error msg and other server programs tell me that port 21 is in use...
I've tried to change to other ports, but still it didn't work. It connected all right, but I can only open the ftp directory on my own computer! None of my friends could open it on their computer... I do NOT have Apache or Oracle or Zonealarm or whatever installed. Please help!>:-<

The above stuff about the conflict between ZoneAlarm and IIS just bit me -- I found these reports with a Google search. In my case, I don't have any trouble booting my machine but when I do an IISRESET, IIS reports an error while restarting, the management console hangs, and then the system spontanenously reboots about 5 minutes later (very disconcerting). I'm doing ISAPI development, so IIS restarts are not infrequent. Uninstalling ZoneAlarm fixes the problem but leaves me without a firewall.

Fortunately, the latest version (3.1) of ZoneAlarm Pro seems to have partially addressed the problem. The trick is to go to the &quot;Firewall&quot; tab and set &quot;Internet Zone Security&quot; from High to Medium. Once I did that, IIS doesn't have nany trouble restarting.

Hi folks,
Here is what you have to do:

1. Open a dos window and type: netstat -an -o
Look for under the Local address for Port 80, follow it across and write down the number PID column. This is the process ID for the program tying up the port.

2. In the dos window type: tasklist.exe /svc
This will list all the tasks and there associated programs. Look for the program that is associated with the PID above. If you recognize it, then go to that program and fix it. If not, you can open up the Task Manager and stop the process.

3. You can also open the Task Manager, pick the &quot;Process&quot; tab then under the menu &quot;View&quot; click, &quot;Select Columns&quot; and check the PID box. This will show you the PID associated with the active tasks.

4. Do as was said before, change IIS to listen on port 8080

You can take it from there....

Mike.

Hi !

I have the 0x8ffe2740-Problem,too. All your hints were very
helpful to figure out what is wrong, but I still have no
solution.

WinXP Pro, IIS 5.1

Description : There is ONE point in time when IIS starts
without problems : directly after having rebooted the
computer. So its running, an if I use &quot;netstat -an&quot; I can
see the IIS listening to port 80 : &quot;0.0.0.0:80 entry&quot;
Now the point is, when I stop the IIS again, even if I de-
activate the ISS-Admin and service, port 80 will not
stop listening. The above mentioned entry in netstat remains
until I reboot.
So I took port 8080 for IIS, this was succesful ... for ONE
start of IIS. After that the same problem : port 8080 did
not stop listening after stopping IIS services. ( Even port
80 was still listening from my former attempt. )
So IIS keeps itself from beeing restarted because it doesnt
deallocate it´s used ports after cancelling it ?
What is this, does anyone know the answer to my problem ?
Is there a setting in XP : &quot;set unused ports free immediately&quot; ?
Is there any tool or (DOS-)command to reinitialize / reset
ports ?
Any suggestions ??

Thanks in advance !

Celsi ( Germany )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back