Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi everybody!

I'm running Windows XP Professional and tried to get Internet Information
Server set up for fooling around a bit. So when I go to the Internet
Management Console (or whatever its called, I've got a German version here)
beside the Default Website there's this red error symbol. If try to restart
it, I get a dialogue box stating that the unexpected error 0x8ffe2740
occured. I can't find anything in the MS KB, so maybe some of you experts
here could give me some advice.

Thanks in advance for all responses,

actually i got the same error , i search every where but not get solution, i have a case in my machine, i have installed the VS.Net and i am trying to get this ius running i alwayes get this error , no search engine know any thing about this error nort microsoft

Has Un-Installing and Re-Installing not helped this problem?

i am trying to reinstall windows xp , also i have uninstaall VS.net and unistall office xp , i have tryied to unistall iis and reinstall, this didn't solv the problem.
by the way i try to install windows xp in other machine from the same disk , and iis get running ok, this mean my copy of windows xp is ok, i bleave this problem is related in some how to the VS.net or may be to office xp, by the way , i have oracle 8i server installed in the same machine,
now i am trying to reinstall windows xp, i am not removing it from machin , just reinstall over the existing copy, i hope this will solve the problem.
i have just finish the installation of win xp pro. iis is still not working, i bleave i have to format my machine and install a clean copy of xp, what should i do else, :(((((((((((((((((((
any help

Hey ehab71,

ya the probelem is because of oracle, what you need to do is from programs menu go to oracle- Orahome81, then from there go to the oracle http server and click on stop http server powred by Apache (if you're not using the http server) then again go and click on the red error msg and it should ge away....:)

I was receiving the same error. But this problem is not just because of Orahome81 but ANY program that might be doing something on port 80.
I had a spy wear blocker running on my machine that was basically intercepting all calls to port 80.
The w3svc service would start you but I couldn’t run any application that used with port 80. (IIS Admin, .NET ect...)
Check to see if you have an application that might be using port 80.
(I think some antivirus software might even create the problem, but I am not positive.)

I've got the same error and no program is installed (not VS.net, not Oracle) and I've tried to reinstall IIS but it doesn't work.

I have been using Windows XP Prof with IIS and it has been working great until I installed the Apache web server. That's when I noticed the Red Error message on my IIS Default.
Solution:
I read through this list of messages, and tried stopping my Apache web server by going to Start > All Programs > Apache httpd Server > Control Apache Server > Stop. After that I went back to IIS, clicked to restart my Default server. Worked like a charm! Thanks guys.

Question though:
Can I run both web servers at the same time?

I am experiencing the same problem. I am running XP Pro and am trying to get .net working. My problem is when I go to the management console trying to start my IIS when I try to start it I get a popup window saying "unexpected error 0x8ffe2740 occured" I am at a loss since I have installed exactly the same configuration at work on a gateway machine and at home I have a sony vaio. I do not have oracle installed on my machine and really have the bare bones configuration a lot of memory and a fast cpu. Should be great for web development. Can anyone please help me.

Hi, Im on windows xp pro, and I have installed iis 5.1 from the xp cd add components menu.

Now that its installed, I have setup the default site and I can access it from a browser using localhost...

my question is that I am an IIS application developer for vb 6... when I try to create a new iis app or even open an old one, it still prompts me to install iis or pws 3 or higher... which is driving me nuts because I already have installed it.

why cant vb recognize that its installed? did I forget to do something? please help me!!

thanks in advance.

I an running XP pro and IIS *was* working great, then I foolishly decided to compile and run a little web server written in VB6 and now I get the 0x8ffe2740 error. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing IIS several times to no avail. I just don't know what to do.

I think some thing has happened in the registry, but I have no idea what it it could be.

Any help would be appreciated.

jimjimbobim (Visitor)has exactly said what I have encountered with IIS and have done all what he did. I also tried to config registry and even the hardware address, but got no clue. let me know if you have any solution, thanks guys.

I get the same error message when i try to restart the IIS service. WHen i boot it runs fine for a good several hours at least, then starts giving clients an Error 500 Internal Server Error. so i decided to try to restart the service and when i stop it it works fine then i try to start it up again and get that unknown error 0x8ffe2740 occured. I reformatted once already to fix this. I have all the security updates and the lockdown tool ran fine but i think it might have something to do with zonealarm, i'm not sure. I'd really prefer to not have to cloes down zonealarm though.

you can run both servers at the same time but they need to be on diffrent port numbers.

Firstly, to determine if you have any other applications using port 80 you can test for this before installing anything else or tryin to configure iis.

go to a dos command window and type

netstat -an >c:\netstat.txt

and press enter, go to your c: drive and look for a file called netstat.txt and open this.. look for anything relating to an ip address:80 and have a look at the status.. is this listening?? If so you can not use port 80 again unless you remove the application that is using it or change the port it is using.

If not you can always configure iis to use another port by going to the iis console and look for the website tab and change the entry in TCP Port (a common one is to use 8080 instead of 80). If you then wanted to browse this site your url would then be http:\\127.0.0.1:8080 (notice the :8080 at the end of the url - this tells your browser to use that port instead of 80.

wayne186 (MIS):

You are so great ! My problem was successfully resoved as following your advice. Thanks :)

Problem Solved!! CHanged from port 80 to 8080 and all is well. That problem bugged me for weeks. Thanks [thumbsup2]

This is a problem with ZoneAlarm Pro. If you start winxp with zonealarm in the startup and it runs, it will for some reason keep the port open when you stop the web server and thus block it when you go to restart it.

Simply delete the link to ZAP in the startup folder and manually running it when you need it.

jimjimbobim - Have you removed the "little VB server" from your system? This error occurs when IIS tries to start using a port that is already held by another service. In this case, it sounds like your custom webserver is using the port that IIS wants. A fix would be to change the port that either IIS or your server is looking for.

Edgeman - ZoneAlarm is causing your problem. I had to remove it from my machine in order to cause the error to cease. It interferes with the port assignments when restarting IIS. There may be some setting that can be adjusted, but I haven't found it. I even tried running it with no security, no program control, etc - and it still didn't work. Uninstalling is the only sure cure. Note that this only matters if you frequently stop and start IIS. If you leave it running most of the time, you can simply reboot the whole machine and not have to uninstall ZA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back