Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS working but not serving ASP pages 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppynrde

Programmer
Sep 11, 2001
GB
I have been running NT4 with PWS on it successfully for some time, but have recently upgraded to win 2k professional. I have installed IIS and initially it worked ok. However, recently, it has started to refuse to serve .asp pages even if the page is merely an html page with an asp extension. I have tried removing IIS and reinstalling it but this has not helped. HTML, SHTML etc all serve fine, there just seems to be some problem with asp. I can't even access the IIS help files as these are all asp. Any help would be most appreciated.

2 things...

If you did a straight upgrade from NT to W2K, as in put the CD in on your NT set up and upgraded directly, these are the types of problems you will always have. W2K does not upgrade smoothly and it is always better to install a fresh Windows 2000 then restore your applications with fresh installs and your data from backup...

but to troubleshoot this specific problem, check your ISAPI extentions in IIS and make sure that the .asp extention is mapped to the asp.dll

To do this open Internet Services Manager from either the Computer Management Console or from a custom MMC, right click Internet Information Services and choose properties, then edit the master properties of the Choose the 'Home Directory' tab, then choose the configuration button at the bottom of that tab. Make sure .asp is mapped to asp.dll

Additional parameters for .asp ISAPI extentions are GET,HEAD,POST,TRACE

then make sure asp.dll is on your server.

If you are still having problems go for the fresh install, if you did come from a fresh install, and none of this helps, provide some additional details of the errors you get and lets see if we can get you working.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Galrahn
galrahn@galrahn.com

Thanks for this, had already tried most of your suggestions, but they turned out not to make any difference. I eventually found the answer on a microsoft support site. As I am also running MS proxy client, I didn't have the permissions set-up correctly on a particular windows dll. Have to admit it was causing me a heck of a headache, but it is now fixed. Thanks for you reply.

Rich

I have a very similar situation. Can you tell me what MS article solved it for you or give me more information on how you solved your problem?
PLEASE!!

Hello!

can you tell me exactly what is the error message you are getting is it http 500 internal server error?

ru you usinng zonealarm or any other firewall on this server?

iis_guru@yahoo.com

Thanks for trying but the MS article did not apply. (no wspwsp.dll file. I have done a clean install of ISS with the XP internet firewall off but no good.

This is interesting - we had the same problem last week on a web server (NT4/IIS4) which stopped serving .asp's but continued to serve everythign else OK. Attempting to access an asp gave a http error 500.

I used PerfMon to look at the W3svc and saw the number of concurrent users, which would usually be about 50-70 was up to around 600!! Reducing the time-out (from 90 secs to 5 secs and 20 mins to 1 min) had no effect on the number of connections. Stopping web services had no effect either!

Re-booting the server fixed the problem - for about half an hour. Then ASPs stopped working again and the number of users gradually increased to approx 600 again.

In the absence of any better ideas we stopped the server then un-installed and re-installed NT Option Pack. This seems to have fixed the problem, but I could find no clues as to the cause in Tech Net or the Knowledge Base.

Any clues anyone?

Hello!

What is error message you are getting whiole trying to access ASP Page? iis_guru@yahoo.com

The error message was the default 500 error. The text is reproduced below.

>HTTP Error 500
>500 Internal Server Error
>
>The Web server is incapable of performing the request. >Please try your request again later.

Firstly,
I have Personal Web Manager 5.0 and IIS version 5
I used to run ZoneAlarm but have had to remove for various reasons. I have a Pentium III with a fair chunk of RAM
I am using W2K Also, I am running the site exclusively for myself ie 1 user.

Heres what happened to me:
I had worked out how to serve asp
Things were cool, running some nice apps etc.
Suddenly, HTTP1.0 new application failed
I turned on "nice friendly errors" then
http 500 internal server error
NB I could now display only .html
.asp was incommunicado

I managed to get the server to display the asp files by going to the Internet Services Manager (off Administrative tools)and right-clicking on the computer name and then restarting IIS.

PWM appears to run as normal but the IIS part has chucked a wobbly

cheers rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back