Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS, WinXP Pro, Unexpected Error 0x8ffe2740!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2003
US
OK,

Can someone PLEASE help me with this?

I had IIS 5.1 running FINE for like 2 days...and then all of a sudden it's down, and I can't bounce the I keep getting the above error. Now, I've read the long thread in here at:

And that's doesn't help at all...I mean, I WAS running zoealarm just fine...but I even did a restart without running zonealarm at startup and it SEEMS to work, but never actually serves anything...I get an "Action Canceled" error message in IE, so I know it's getting there...but just not serving.

So, to sum it all up, it WAS working with zonealarm...I don't have oracle, restarting without zonealarm starting DOESN'T help, it doesn't work no matter what port is selected.

What gets me is that is WAS working perfectly!! Also, I can't find ANYTHING on this error in technet.

Thanks in advance for any help,
moose

I've installed the latest version of zonealarm, and no dice.

Also, I'd SEARCH this site for that error message, but it seems the singlemost helpful feature on this site isn't working.

I came up with a similar problem after installing Visual Studio 6. I read the other forum with the same error too and I knew IIS worked with Zone Alarm up until this morning so I knew it wasn't ZA.

I noticed when looking at the Internet services manager that it didn't seem like all of the folders and virtual directories were present. I remember that Visual Interdev had the ability to create virtual directories in IIS/PWS. So I traced the problem to there. VS 6 is getting kinda old now anyway and came out long before IIS 5.x.

I did two things so I don't know if you need to do both or just one of them. Doing both won't hurt.

1. Add/Remove Programs - remove the Web Publishing Wizard.
2. Go to IIS manager, change the default website's home directory to any other folder. apply / OKJ. Then go and change it back to (or where ever it is supposed to be) then maybe give the machine one good restart.

I had this same error, and it was because another service (in my case VoIP program - Skype) was listening on port 80 and was loading before IIS when my machine was starting.
Run from cmd window: netstat -a -o
This command will give you all TCP connections either opened or listening on your machine, and also give you the process ID for the process that is using the connection. Look for connections using either http or port 80, make a note of the process ids, open task manager and see what process has that id. Kill it and see if you can restart iis, or start the wdefault website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back