Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS running but I get a HTTP 500 error message!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

qajussi

Programmer
Mar 22, 2004
US
Hi!
I have been testing my ASP pages locally on my machine.
It's been working fine until this week.

I can't get any default pages open up with
or or
I checked IIS manager and the service is running.
I restarted the service.
Still nothing...

I don't know what to do now....

I have not installed any applications on my machine.
NOthing has changed except my Sys Admin running some new scripts.

But I don't see how it will affect my IIS...
Need help..I am going nowhere here...

Thank you in advance..

I would go into IIS admin and turn directory browsing on. Then have a look at and see what is there..

if you cant even browse directory it sounds as though you may not have access rights to view the directory as a web user. You may need to check security settings for IUSR___.

From IIS manager I did Browse, and I got "you are not authorized to view this page" ...

But I am the admin of my box...

qajussi

You may have inadvertantly enabled windows security. Make it anonymous.

Unless you want tosecure the web ofcourse.

-----------------
Cogito Ergo Sum
-----------------

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I use my localhost for asp testing and all the sudden, poof, no more IIS.
Thanks,
Ryandoah

Hi!

I found two solutions.
1) Restart IISAdmin service every time..(once a day..)
2) See if you changed your password of your machine.
In my case, I think it caused it when the NT account's password was changed so what I found and did was
change the password of IUSR_.

Hope that helps.

-Qajussi

Take a look at this and do the same.
Configuring Integrated Windows Authentication
Important You must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer to perform the following procedure (or procedures), or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. As a security best practice, log on to your computer using an account that is not in the Administrators group, and then use the Run as command to run IIS Manager as an administrator. From the command prompt, type runas /user:administrative_accountname "mmc %systemroot%\system32\inetsrv\iis.msc".

To enable Integrated Windows authentication

In IIS Manager, right-click the Web Sites folder, Web site, directory, virtual directory, or file, and click Properties.
Note Configuration settings made at the Web Sites folder level can be inherited by all Web sites.

Click the Directory Security or File Security tab, depending upon what level you are configuring security settings.
In the Anonymous access and authentication control section, click Edit.
In the Authenticated access section, select the Windows Integrated Authentication check box.
Click OK twice.

I found my problem. I had used the IISLockdown Tool, which secures/deletes all unnecessary objects in IIS. And though I read this in the whitepaper, I didn't head the fact that IISLockdown is particular to production webservers. Bottom line, in using the tool, I had deleted the IISHelp VirDir and its associated mappings. IISHelp is vital to being able to view client side error messages. So I reloaded IIS and everything is better. I found this solution in an article at Thanks
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back