Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS not actively serving aspx files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faded

Programmer
Feb 6, 2002
CA
Hello All,

I have a Web Server (Windows 2000, IIS 5) that has all of the new security updates and the .NET framework installed, yet it won't serve any ASP.NET pages. Things with the .asp extension seem to run fine, but when I request a .aspx page, the dynamic content is not displayed.

I'm new to IIS let alone ASP.NET, so I'm at a loss to explain what's going wrong. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Faded

Try going to command prompt, changing to the following directory:

[System32Folder]\Microsoft.NET\Framework\vxx.xx.xx.
and running:

aspnet_regiis -i

Sometimes, the registration of the proper extensions doesn't occur upon framework installation. Don't know why, but this may get you moving again.

-paul
penny1.gif
penny1.gif

The answer to getting answered -- faq855-2992

Thanks for the reply Paul.

Inside the System32 folder there is no Microsoft.NET folder. I double checked (in Add/Remove Programs), and both the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and .NET Framework SDK 1.1 are there. Should I try to uninstall that and re-install the Framework 1.0 instead?

Cheers, Faded

My bad... It's in the Windows/Winnt folder.

Same root level as the System32.

penny.gif
penny.gif

The answer to getting answered -- faq855-2992

ok. I ran that from command line, and still no aspx :(

When I hit that page (first.aspx) locally through IE, the page displays but with none of the asp content appearing, but when I access it from another machine on the network I get a "Server Error in '/' Application" message with directions on how to use a customErrors tag in the web.config file to prevent detailed errors from displaying remotely.

The aspx page I am trying to access is very simple, and aside from the <html>, <head>, and <body> the only thing on the page is a <h1> and <p><%Response.Write(now())%></p> so I don't think that's the problem.

Cheers, Faded

Got it!

I forgot to allow ASPNET user permissions to that folder.

For those who may follow this thread in the future, in Windows Explorer right click the directory that you have the aspx file in and select properties. From the security tab, uncheck the &quot;allow inheritable permissions&quot; checkbox and then click &quot;add&quot; at the top of the window. Add IUSR (needed for IIS) and add ASPNET (needed for aspx) and make sure they have &quot;read & execute&quot;, &quot;list folder contents&quot;, and &quot;read&quot; permissions.

Thanks for your help Paul.

Cheers, Faded

Yippeee.. Thanks Paul!!! Running aspnet_regiis.exe -i fixed the problem I have just spent several hours on.

Thank you!!

Pat B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back