Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS - localhost not working..suggestions please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajeshgooner

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have installed IIS 5.1 on Windows XP. I've checked all permissions and it looks to have the correct permissions on the home directory but when I type in localhost in the browser (or the computer name) I get the obligatory page cannot be found page.

Is there something else i need to do? I can see the iis services running....

Driving me mad..

If you mean the one that I'm trying to point to then Yes, I've got the virtual directory.

I've also noticed that if I type in then it displays correctly, however asp pages are giving the 'the page cannot be displaye' messages.

Apologies, it must be something simple but I cannot find anything on other forums either. In addition, I don't have access to change any internet option settings... Cannot turn off the friendly messages..

Try browsing with your IP address and see if that gets you anywhere.

afew more things you can try.
1-check if IIS service is running. If its running restart it and try again

2-open Command and type tracert localhost and see what comes up
3-create a basic HTML page and see if you can browse it
4-one last thing i would try is to download MS Scripting Engine

Good luck

Thanks for your reply netctl.

- Does not work with ip address either.
1. Service is running, have restarted with no effect.
2. tracert localhost returns:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms localhost [127.0.0.1]

3. Basic HTML page works
4. Cannot find the ms scripting engine on microsoft site. Is it a windows component?

Any more help would be good. Have already run aspnet_regii.exe for latest .NET framework version.

Please help....any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I need to start my asp.net project as soon as....

Try my suggestions in thread855-1050958

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facility ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

THanks ca8msm and netctl. I found something on the microsoft forums and created this batch file:

@echo off

cd %systemrootdirectory%\system32\inetsrv\

rundll32 wamreg.dll, CreateIISPackage

regsvr32 asptxn.dll

IISRESET

cls

exit

ANd it works!!!!!! Not sure why these were not registered before but it's done the job.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back