Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS Installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadjssd

Technical User
Jan 24, 2002
GB
I'm running Win XP Pro SP2.
Upon trying to install Visual Studio .NET, I was informed that as a prerequisite, I needed to install IIS and Frontpage Server Extensions.
So, in the ususal way I did so via Add/Remove Windows Components. Windows threw up no error messages during this installation, so I assumed everything was fine.

The Studio installer still failed to recognize that I had IIS installed, which seemed strange, so I managed to work around this problem and proceed with the install.

Of course, this has now come back to haunt me. Upon trying to create a web appliaction, Studio fails because I have 'no web server installed'.
Further investigation into the MMC shows that I have no WebSite node (I have the FTP node only), and if I try to navigate to //localhost/default.html it doesn't exist.

So it seems that my Windows installer is missing a trick somewhere when I try to install IIS. I have ticks in the component boxes in the Add/Remove dialog, but it's clearly not doing everything right.

Any ideas anyone? I've been round and round in circles uninstalling and reinstalling IIS and Studio, all to no avail.

For info, I'm also running SQL Server 2000, Norton AntiVirus and Norton Personal Firewall.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any help!

Cheers
wadjssd

Me again.
Just for info for those that may suffer the same fate as me, as I have now solved the issue.
I'm not sure which of the 3 pieces of software I listed was to blame, but I did a full uninstall of all 3, removed IIS, rebooted, and then reinstalled IIS. Success!!
I have subsequently reinstalled SQL Server and the NOrton Products, and IIS is functioning fine, so it would appear to be an issue only at installation.

Now, how do I give myself a star.... ;o)

Cheers,
wadjssd

hello. i'm having somewhat the same problem you are, however, when i try to uninstall IIS, it simply hangs after about 3 "bars".

any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back