Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS Installation Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhagaxtuur

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
CA
I am using Windows XP Pro-Edition. I have installed IIS using some guidlines fromt the internet but I don't know how to run it. The installatio did not put shortcut on anywhere that I can see.

My question is how do you run the IIS after I install?

I don't have XP but in 2000 you would go to the control panel > Administrative tools > computer managament > open services and applications > open internet information services and there's your default web site. Right-click it and select <Start>. If <start> is disabled that means that it's running. You can do pretty much all the administration that you need to from here. Your root directory is going to be C:\inetpub\Open your web browser and type
That will also let you know that the server is running.

Check first whether the directories Inetpub and are created or not. These directories are created when you configure IIS.

If the directories are created and IIS is running then check your browser settings.

If you are using a proxy server to connect to the internet then in IE, go to Tools->internet options->connections->LAN settings->(check Bypass Proxy Server for local addresses).

Hope this'll solve your problem.

Chao!
Sweta

How do I set prox to local address? What is local address, IP or http;//lacalhost?

There is address field and port field under LAN, what do I type there?

Did I mention that you have to check these settings for
Internet Explorer.(I assume you are using Internet Explorer)

I hope you are your pc is connected to a LAN. In that case one of the PCs is used as the proxy server. So in the Internet Explorer you must be having the IP address of your proxy server under....
Tools->internet options->connections->LAN settings->Use a Proxy Server and it must be checked.(this setting allows you to connect to the internet using the proxy server).

If you are running IIS on your m/c then you have to check
Tools->internet options->connections->LAN settings->(check Bypass Proxy Server for local addresses)in order to allow IIS serve the requests.

If you are not using a proxy server then uncheck
Tools->internet options->connections->LAN settings->Use a Proxy Server.

Good Luck!!
Sweta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back