Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS exe file downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickjbud

Programmer
Jun 13, 2002
GB
Hi all

We have a client who wishes to put an exe file on their website so the user can download to run it locally, however they are having difficulty in downloading the file.

The only information that I have is that the clients website is hosted on an IIS system. After doing some searching I have found various websites that all basically say the same thing in that it requires the host to change a setting on the server to allow exe files to be downloaded and what is happening at the moment is that the exe file is trying to run on the server.

The sites also mentioned setting up the correct mime type etc... Is this something I could do or is it something that has to be done server-side. Would this solve anything without the setting up of the IIS script.

I have no access whatsoever to the clients site.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help that is forthcoming.

Kind regards

Mick

mymapofseychelles
eWOC
LookandBookIt
Rotography

Hi 999Dom999

Thanks for your help.

So basically this needs doing on the server and I can't do anything other that advise our client to request for this to be done by their hosting company and if they refuse advise her to seek an alternative host?

Are there any security issues with changing the mime settings?

Regards

Mick

mymapofseychelles
eWOC
LookandBookIt
Rotography

A lot of files download by default, have tried getting them to zip the .exe file first so you are dealing with .zip file instead, then see if you get the download prompt?

This is a quote from our clients hosting company.

I have tested this too and I do not think it is possible to create web-shortcut directly to an exe file. I suspect this is a security restriction inherent in IIS.

However, it will allow you to link to a .zip file which I have created

Not much hope there I think.

mymapofseychelles
eWOC
LookandBookIt
Rotography

Well its says it will allow a zip file? Can't you give that a go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back