Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS - detailed error messages OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahG

Programmer
May 23, 2002
IE
I want to disable detailed error messages being sent to the user. I've changed a setting in IIS (Home Directory-Configuration-Debugging) so that a specific message is to be sent to the user.

However this doesn't seem to be taking effect. I have commented out any "On error resume next" and inclusions of error handling scripts.

Any suggestions? Thanks

The end user will still get an error message, it just shouldn't have any details in it. make sure when your testing that detailed messages are not being sent that you are doing so from another machine. Also, if you get really desperate, you can look at creating your own error page. In IIS there is a listing of all the error pages. You can modify or create yuour own versions of each of them (including the 500 page that handles errors) and then not only hide error messages but also make them look the same as the rest of your site (for continuity). Try searching for "custom 404" or "custom error pages", there are several articles out there that walk through it.

-T

Best MS KB Ever:

I can set up the custom error pages, that works ok.

However my original aim was just to send back one generic message from IIS - I'm confused as to why this doesn't work. As far as I can see it should be a simple matter of changing the setting in IIS to "Send text error message to client" instead of "Send detailed message" - I've searched the web and haven't found anything to indicate a known problem with this, so I'm wondering what I've missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back