Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS Application in Visual Basic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtshort

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
US
What does the option to create an IIS Application in Visual Basic 6.0 do exactly? Will it work as well as creating an ASP App? Rob
Just my $.02.

This creates something called a web class. Which is a combination of an ASP web page and a dll file. It works well if there are not many updates. However you must re-register the dll every time you make a change. In order to do this you must stop IIS.

You basically create a template .asp file with some tags in it that get processed by your VB code. You find an example in the VB help file. One definite advantage is the speed at which it runs. You are executing a compiled dll and not interpreted ASP.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I'm still a little confused though. What did you mean by:

"It works well if there are not many updates"

Not many updates to the database or to the compiled app?

I have a fairly large app in VB (uses a couple of FlexGrids & etc.) I developed and now "the man" wants it to work on the web. I need to do this, of course, as easy as possible but I want it to work well too.

Thanks again. Rob
Just my $.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back