Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS and Flash Communication Server not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skurpyun

Programmer
Jun 19, 2002
US
I am not sure if I should post this here, but there is no Flash Communication Server forum here.
Has anyone attemted to get IIS and Flash Communication Server running on the same machine?

I have tried to do this and they do not work well together due to a simple fact, both servers need to use port 80! I set up a separate IP address on the machine so that IIS would run using IP number 1, and configured Flash Communication Server to run using IP number 2. They run successfully for a few hours. Then for some strange reason, all my websites in IIS stop running. My conclusion: Flash Communication Server is still stepping all over IIS on all IPs.

Not being a networking person, I am somewhat unsure of my next step (short of purchasing a separate box for Flash Communication Server). Has anyone come across this and found a solution for IIS and Flash Communication Server to successfully 'co-habitate' on the same machine?

-sk

Also I should add, my server is WIN2k SP2, running IIS5.0 and MS Sql Server 2000. There are no helpful event errors logged when the sites go down except for:

The service could not bind instance 5. The data is the error code.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft Online Support site located at: [ignore][/ignore].

Where the number 5 changes depending on the specific website in IIS that is the source of the error.

-sk

No one seems to have taken this challenge. Anyway, just an update. After much digging around and "trial and error" attempts, I've found this web page that pretty much walks one through the steps of achieving a solution to my above problem.

[blue][URL unfurl="true"]http://www.flashcomguru.com/tutorials/fcs_iis.cfm[/blue][/url]

Following the steps in this article I was successful in getting FCS and IIS to work nicely together on a single Win2k server running MS SQL db and IIS.

And note: pay close attention to Step 2 mentioned in this article. Several times i made the mistake to assume socket pooling was already disabled when it wasnt. The following article explains how to do this:

[blue][URL unfurl="true"]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238131[/blue][/url]

-sk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back