Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS and Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Dec 30, 2002
We currently have our email and company website hosted by hosting company. Now that we have acquire a server with Windows Small Business Server 2003 we want to bring these things internally.

First I'm working on bringing our website in. I have setup our router to forward port 80 to our small business server but when I bring up our external IP I get a page saying "You are not authorized to view this page."

What am I doing wrong?

I've fixed the above problem. Seems like ISA was restricting access.

On another note, would I now have to get my ISP to add a DNS record pointing the domain name we purchased to our IP address? Then i'm assuming we'd have to get the registrar to set our domain name to our ISP's nameservers.

Is that correct?

If you can control DNS (particularly, edit DNS records) at your registrar, you don't need to move your name to your ISP's nameservers. Your needs to point at your static IP address.

For the mail side of things, once you've verified that your server is listening on port 25, you'll want to set up a new A-record for mail (like "post" or something like that) and then create an MX record to point at that new record. Then you'd delete the other MX records that are pointing to your hosting provider.

One thing I'd point out: normally people don't host their business web sites on the SBS server. There are so many ways to have free hosting that it's safer to host it outside so that if your server gets hacked through the website, it's not your internal data getting compromised. Check with your ISP, since as far as I know, every ISP provides free hosting space to their customers, and that would be a better solution than hosting locally.

Plus, hosting your website locally makes it much more likely that when you are setting up the website on your local SBS server, you will break some of the other prefab sites that handle some cool features for you. Have you set up Outlook Web Access and Remote Web Workplace? Have you played around with the SharePoint intranet?

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back