Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 6 .Net (running .Net 2.x on default, and .Net 1.x on sub)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimusTek

MIS
Oct 29, 2001
US
Hello all,

We are in a situation where we have to run both .Net 1.x and 2.x on our site for 2 different apps. We want the 2.x app to be at the root ( and the 1.x app to be under that ( If we set it up that way, it seems that .Net 1.x does not want to run, but if we reverse it, making .Net 1.x the root, then there is no problem (besides the fact that we do not want it that way).

Is there any way to either block inheritance on the .Net 1.x app, or do some sort of proxying?

You might be able to tell that I am not very familiar with IIS, which would explain why I don't even know what terms to use to find an answer. I am used to an Apache environment.

Thanks!

Additional details:

The problem seems to be that the 2.0 app that we would like to run in the root of the DefaultWebSite has a fully configured web.config that the 1.1 app chokes on. Is there are way to specify exceptions, or point to another file? Argh!

What I need is some way to either block inheritance from edits to the parent web.config, or visa versa (block inheritance by adding ?something? to the child web.config)

Anyone done this?

So far my solution comes from a comment on this blog post:

I set up the root to use my 2.0 app, and then set up the 1.1 app to run in a different app pool as a sub-app. I then moved the 2.0 app into a *physical* sub folder and changed the root to point to the new location (c:\InetPub\
I am not exactly sure why this works. From the comment in the referenced blog post, it seems to have to do with the way the sub app set up inheritance, and since the 1.1 app was installed while c:\InetPub\ was the actual root, and now a web.config does not exist in that location, it dose not try to load it in it's normal inheritance. The 2.0 app has it's own web.config and so it is happy as well.

I might recommend hitting 'cancel' on any dialogs that come up asking if you want to override values from sub-apps...

Please, if you see a problem with this method, let me know...

The site needs to be started up with the 2.0 app *not* in the root, and the 1.1 site needs to be accessed (to load the web.config and see that there is not one in the root) before changing the root to point to the 2.0 app. This means that the process would have to be repeated every time the server is restarted. Bummer.

I am looking into isolating the application pools and using permissions to make it so the 1.1 app cannot actually see the web.config for the 2.0 app. We will see how it goes.

Final result was to set up a site for each app, on separate IP addresses. That ended up being the cleanest solution for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back