Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 6 hangs when loading classic ASP Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanx

Programmer
Jul 10, 2001
US
Basically, I want to run Classic ASP pages on my groups server, but can't. I have IIS 6.0 running on a WK3 production server that currently runs my organization's internal HTML site, and that works fine. The problem is once I attempt to access an ".asp" file it simply hangs, and eventually gives me a "...page cannot be displayed" message.

I have listed what I have already thought of and tried:

* I have already configured the Web Service Extensions in IIS to ALLOW Active Server Pages to run.

* I have also tried restarting IIS 6.0 and the entire server, but that didn't seem to do anything either.

* I have double checked that the Active Server Pages subcomponent is installed under, ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS > ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENTS > APPLICATION SERVER > IIS > > ACTIVE SERVER PAGES. It is checked although it shows "0.0MB" to the right of it.

* It can't be the ASP code because it's simple <% Response.Write("ASP Successful!") %>. Even if the code were wrong, it should display an internal server error, and not just hang like its currently doing.

It simply doesn't make sense to me that there is anything else that I would need to do in order to active Classic ASP. The only one thing I can think of are STOPPED or DISABLED Services, but I wouldn't know which ones.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance,
jonathanx

Jonathanx, did you ever get a fix for this? I'm having the exact same problem, and suspect I'm missing something completely obvious...

Hello there, no I have not fixed this yet. However, one thing that I am doing differently is that the server is actually running of VMWare. It is a virtual machine instead of a physical server. I had hosting at my company build another VMWare instance with the server software and that worked fine. Are you running VMWare as well?

Yes, mine is virtual, but using Microsoft Virtual Server rather than VMWare.

I just discovered that re-registering some dll's (see below) fixed this for me. What was really throwing me was that ASP was working on some other sites on the server, but not on two new sites.

Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll, and then click OK.
2. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\oleaut.dll, and then click OK.
3. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll, and then click OK.
4. Note If the ASP Web page does not contain Jscript code, go to step 5.

Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\jscript.dll, and then click OK.
5. Click Start, click Run, type iisreset, and then click OK.

I am about to give up on this server. I have registered all the dll's you listed and restarted IIS, but the problem persists. I really thought this was a great idea since I suspected that perhaps not all the .dll files were there to support ASP.

I don't know if it's worth noting, but the only difference is that oleaut.dll was not found on the server, however I did find oleaut32.dll which I presumed was the same thing since the working VMWare image also has that file.

In IIS Admin, if you right click on the root of the default web and choose Properties, a tabbed dialog box will appear.

Switch to the tab named "Home Directory" and, in the bottom half of the page, there is a button that will be labled either "Create" or "Remove". If it says "Create" then click it. If it says "Remove" then click the "Configure" button beneath it and it pops up another window you can use to make sure the .ASP file extension is associated with asp.dll

Yes, I have double checked that the .ASP file extension is associated with "C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\asp.dll". I have "All verbs" selected and "Script engine" and "Verify that file exists."

:( It still hangs.

Hi!

Did somebody found a solution to this issue? I've got exactly the same problem...

Thanks

Hi SheepK,

No, I have not yet found a solution to this problem. In fact, I have asked my company to build me another VMWare server instead, which on previous tests seems to work fine. The only answer that I received from hosting was that the VMWare instance which has the ASP problem was one of the original builds they created. Alhtough this is pretty vague I mention it because it seems that the problem may root from the OS installation process or the version of OS you may be installing.

Although this is no longer a priority for me since I am having another server VM created, I would still want to know how this problem kicked my a$$.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back