Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 6 Cannot see website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazman

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2000
GB
Hi, I just ordered a standalone server from 1&1 Internet as we now want to host our site on a single server. I have a "reserve domain name" registered and so that I can test the server I now have this domain name (we'll call it testdomain.co.uk) pointing the the static IP of the server. If I ping the domain name or the server IP the server answers correctly.
I have placed a VERY simple website into the InetPub folder and have configured it via iis. I've given the web a description, left it's ip as "unassigned" and using the advanced button have given the site multiple identities of and testdomain.co.uk both on port 80.
I can view the site internally by using but not by using OR
I also CANNOT get to the site externally via the internet. I'm new to iis (as you can imagine!) What am I doing wrong here? Help!

Sounds to me like you don't have the default document specified or activated in IIS.

Open IIS manager and go to the properties for the site. Click on the Documents tab and make sure default.htm (the name of your homepage) is in the list. It's very specific too. default.htm is different than default.html, so make sure you add your homepage filename.extension correctly. Make sure "Enable default content page" is turned on. Save the new settings. No need to restart IIS (iisreset), or recycle app pools if you are using IIS 6.0.

Once set, type in The default page should be the page you specified on the Document properties in IIS. should now bring up your homepage as well.

I decided to take a step back from this.... I was absolutely positive that I had configured iis right. I decided to look at packet filters and found one buried in the local security policy that said BLOCK ALL. Cleared this filter and everything worked! I forgot that Windows Server 2003 installs with everything locked down. Thanks anyway everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back