Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 6 and .EXE files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkmart

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2002
SE
Hi,
I got a problem when I try to execute an .exe file in IIS 6.
The browser says that the file is not found (standard 404).
Help please!

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?

hey dkmart,

are you trying to run an executable,or are you trying to set up an executable so it can be downloadable from your site? I had a situation with my website where i posted links to files on my server for people to download, but i would click on the link and get a "page not found" error. After a few days of frustration, I realized that I didn't have the file extensions set up in my mime types. I was hosting links to some of my .iso images, and for some reason, even though i had the virtual directories set up correctly and the paths set up correctly, I got page not found. finally after reading some articles, i realized that I had to configure that file extension into mime map. You can do this by right clicking on your website in iis, clicking properties and when the properties window comes up select the http headers tab. At the bottom of this is where you configure your additional mime types. all you have to do is add new file type for example .exe and give a description. this should fix your problem if I understand your problem correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back