Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge07

MIS
Oct 20, 2003
CA
Is it possible to get IIS 6.0 for XP Pro?
I have installed IIS 5.1 from the CD but I was looking for IIS 6.0.

Thanks

Hello Edge07,

IIS 5.1 is the watered down version of IIS that comes with Windows XP, and it doesn't install automatically. It has to be added later with "add/remove Windows componants". when I say watered down, I mean that you can only have one virtual website running under it. It will not allow you to add another. IIS 6.0 comes with the Windows Server 2003 family of operating systems, and has all functionality. I could be wrong, but by what I have read, there is no way to get a copy of IIS 6.0 for installation on an XP box.

I hope I've helped

regards

Thanks,

That was the problem that i was having. I wanted to add another website but was unable to do so.

I've often wondered myself how I might get IIS 6.0 installed on my XP box. I do have a copy of Windows Server 2003, would it be possible to install it through that, while still only having XP on the comp??

wagnj1 and Edge07

like I said earlier, XP doesn't come with IIS installed. It has to be installed using the "add/remove windows componants" option. When you open the add/remove windows componants dialogue box, and choose to add IIS, it will ask for your Windows XP CD. Now, it has occured to me that if, and I emphasize "if", there is an executable on the windows 2003 disk that would allow you to just install, you might be able to just pop it into your Windows XP machine and run the executable. But I am almost positive that it doesn't work that way. I have searched and searched on "IIS 6.0 and Windows XP" in various search engines and have seen nothing but people saying that IIS 6.0 only installs and works on Windows 2003. Is there a IIS or IIS 6.0 forum on Tek-Tips that can answer our questions? I just might stroll on over there and ask around, because I've been wanting to know the answer to this question myself for some time.

Take care, and good luck.

PsionicStorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back