Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 5 forms not posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave4dl

Programmer
Jan 21, 2003
US
I need help with configuring IIS 5. I had to rebuild the computer serving web content for me and so I backed up my Intetpub directory. The server had IIS 5 on it before I rebuilt it (it worked ok) and I installed the same version of IIS on it after rebuilding it. From the backup I restored only the .asp and image files. Now pages that use the POST method for sending for data (I haven't tried GET yet but I dont really want to go to that) dont post any data to the action page. Does anyone have any idea how to make IIS start recognizing the post data again? I tried reinstalling IIS but the problem persists.
I can copy the files to the c:\inetpub\ directory and they work fine but when they are in the subdirectory they need to be in, they dont post form data

What exactly happens? Does the recipient of the POST run and get no data? Or does the recipient (asp page) not run at all? Does this happen for all virtual servers or just the default? Ditto for virtual directories.

More info please :)

Rob W

Thank you for the replies. The directories *are* set to execute scripts but the problem exists with pure html pages as well as pages with scripts. When an html page that has a simple form gets a "submit" button clicked, the page that is in the "action" property of the form tag recieves absolutely no post data. Then length of the post data is zero. Upon further investigation i discovered that this never happens when i am using Internet Explorer 5.5 to browse these pages but it does happen when Internet Explorer 6 SP1 or 6 with no service pack. You would think IE 6 would work better than IE 5 huh?

I tried being more specific in the html tag about the version of html i was using (4.0) but that did not help.

Thanks again for the replies. I did some more investigating and was able to more precisely define the problem(and it is quite a bit different from how i first understood the problem):
When using Internet Explorer 6 and 6 SP1 the following happens:
If I access a page that uses "Integrated Windows Authentication" (to get the username) even if it is a completely empty file or all code is commented out, forms on pages within the subdirectory of the "Integrated Windows Authentication" page will stop passing data to any other page (but the authentication happens just fine and i get the username which i store to a session variable)

Forms begin working again if i restart the browser (until i hit a page that uses "Integrated Windows Authentication" again)

This problem doesnt occur in Internet Explorer 5 and 5.5.

My Crappy Fix: I isolate all files that use "Integrated Windows Authentication" in their own subdirectory and redirect to the original directories after i have collected the username.

This is the first time i have been truly annoyed with Microsoft. How can they charge what they do for such a crappy product??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back