Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 5.1 Windows XP Pro: How do I host Multiple Sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakier

Programmer
Dec 20, 2002
US
I've gone through the MMC and there is no New -> Web Site option in it to create another site like there is with IIS 5 on Win2K. I've even gone as far as to create programs that use the ADSI to create another site, and when I did that, it showed up with a big Stop Sign icon that says "Error" on it. I went through the configurations and configured it all like I wanted it, but when I try to start it, I get the error "The request is not supported". Can anyone help? (I'm running IIS 5.1 with Windows XP Pro SP1)

Thanks in advanced!
-Drakier

Technically you can not do this. Win 2000 and XP only let you set up one webserver. I am not even sure you can set up a virtual website. In the Windows family the only two version are server and advance server. I am not sure about NT, which I would not use anyway. Depending if you can get your hands on a copy of server, it might be cheaper to have your site hosted. There are a lot of hosting services under $5 a month if you dont need alot of space.

I am not at all familiar with the other OS products

I hope this helps.

Gup

you can only set up multiple sites using IIS in w2k server. but you may try other http server software like Apache.

Well Apache won't work because I use IIS specifically for ASP and since I've never seen ASP work without code modification on Apache, that really isn't an option. So you're 100% sure that there is no way, not programatically or otherwise to get IIS 5.1 on XP to host more than 1 site huh? Thats a bummer.

Thanks for the link, but I cannot seem to get it to work like the instructions say. I'll play around with it a bit more and see if I can maybe get it to work. At least its a start. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back