Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 5.1 and WINXP not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail1111

MIS
Apr 8, 2003
US
1. I am running Windows XP and just installed IIS 5.1.
2. IIS 5.1 has been installed and un-installed and re-installed and it still does not work.
3. I did not create a virtual directory as I can not get what I have installed to work correctly.
4. I do not see the asterisk that the documentation refers to.
5. I can not view any pages, i.e. nor 6. I can ping the computer with the computer name which gives me an IP address.
7.I can ping the system with the above mentioned IP address.
8. Internal IIS documentation from the IIS help file states that: Before you install IIS, you need to install the Windows TCP/IP Protocol and Connectivity Utilities. Where do I find Windows TCP/IP Protocol Utilities?
9. The documentation also recommends formatting my system to NTFS, which for me does not make sense as I am using my computer at home.
10. Would someone walk me through the resolution step-by-step?

Confused and Frustrated.

Gail1111

Sounds like you are using XP Home Edition.

IIS is not available on XP Home and the Network settings are hidden from the user.

thread41-517590

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

ChrisHirst(IS/IT--Manager)

I double checked and I am runnin WINXP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1.
And I still have the original problem .

IT WORKS, IIS 5.1--I go it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gail1111

Gail...what did you do to eventually solve your problem. I am having similar problems. Thanks.

Gail...I am having same problem and has been more than 2 months now and I'm going crazy with this!! PLEASE HELP ME!! Thanks

Same problem, How did you get it to work, pls post.
Thank you.

Try:

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Internet Information Services - [your computer name](local computer) - Web Sites - [your default website] Properties:

Web Site tab:

IP Address: select (All Unassigned) from drop-down list.

I think WinXP uses "localhost" as default if IP is unassigned otherwise it uses the entered value.

For anyone that comes back here to check... In my case, the problem was (this is so stupid...) a setting within IE. If you go Tool -> Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings, uncheck the "Automatticaly Detect Settings" and voila! Done, now the world is beautiful again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back