Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 4.0 stops responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampson

MIS
Jan 11, 1999
US
I have been trawling through this newsgroup and it seems several other people are also having similar problems with IIS 4.0.<br>
<br>
My dual processor Micron box running IIS 4.0 on SP3 just stops responding to HTTP requests. It's almost as if the port has closed in on itself and decided not to let any traffic in or out.<br>
<br>
Going to the Console Manager and stopping/starting the Web server fixes the problem -- but it does not solve it.<br>
<br>
My helper app is a shareware product from called Web Monitor. I simply get the program to check for a string every 120 seconds and page and email me *if* it does not find this string (the server goes down). This has proved useful (although slightly primative), and perhaps if I had some sway I could get the company to buy the software ($40)<br>
<br>
Mean time, I have come up with these (untested) ideas -- anyone could come up with Help would be greatly appreciated; this is a production server and I cannot afford to "play" with it too much:<br>
<br>
.oO Turning off support for Front Page Server Extensions (who really needs bots?)<br>
.oO Disable ASP caching (although this would have a detrimental effect on the Server, it would stop any possible "Out of Memory" occurances as far as I can tell.<br>

Is there a reason why you are not runnig SP4? that had solved a TON of weird errors on my NT boxes.

Make sure that you do not have HTTP keep alives enables if you are running any ASP pages. This may not cause you particular problem, but will cause port congestion because of connections kept ope, that are not needed after the page is generated.<br>

mhadlock: Burocracy (sp?) I know this will fix some errors, unsure about this one. Waiting for mgt approval before upgrade.<br>
<br>
Kyperion: Did that. Didn't work. Just disabled FrontPage Server extenions. Still testing.

Okay, installed SP4.. no damn good. Stopped responding again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back