Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIS 4.0/SSL/Metabase.bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreinard

Technical User
Feb 21, 2001
US
Hello.
I think I have exhausted MSFT's knowledgebase and hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I am using IIS 4.0 and installed a new SSL on a site, which installed fine (no errors,etc). However when I got to access this, i cannot. DNS is not found. bla bla bla.

Now here is the catch, I have approx 20+ SSL's that worked properly until I installed this new cert. Now all ssl's come up as not found. I was assuming that this was the metabase that became corrupt, however upon reading the info on the metabase it seems that IIS would not work at all if this happen. So here I am with port 80 working great and 443 giving me DNS errors.... Any suggestions?

What is the exact error you get? Also, anything of interest in the event logs (check both application and system)?

That is where it gets funny. Nothing at all in the event viewer on both, and you get connection failure has occured when trying to access https:

I have also tried to telnet into port 443 and got a connection failure too. It is like it does not even exist.

any thoughts?

From a command prompt on the IIS server run the command 'netstat -an' and see if port 443 is listening.

This has been resolved. The metabase.bin file became corrupt. I restored from Dat tape and it fixed it. Still curious as to why there were no errors associated with it though.. Thanks for all your assistance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back