Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IIf IsNull Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

Technical User
Jun 19, 2002
US
I think this is a simple problem that I just cannot resolve. I am using the expression =IIf(IsNull([Customer PO]),"NEED PO",[Customer PO]) in a report. The result is an error. Customer PO is a text data type, required-no, allow zero length-no,index-no and unicode compression-yes.

I have no trouble using an expression similar to that as the 'control source' for a text box on a report. Is that where you are using it? What error are you getting?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

#error. If I change the arguements to two "text" responses, I always get the false response whether the [customer po] is null or not.

Maybe this is a clue.

Thanks,

Have you checked to see if you have any zero length fields that to the naked eye would appear to be NULL?

I am not exactly sure how to check for zero length strings. I tried the NZ code and got the same error response.

Try this,

=IIf(IsNull([Customer PO]) or [Customer PO] = ""),"NEED PO",[Customer PO])

Have you tried to see if this statement works in a regular query? Or if the query that the report is built upon is pulling the correct information (I know probably dumb questions, but it doesn't hurt to ask! :))

or try this that also checks for spaces

iif(trim([Customer PO])>"",[Customer PO],"NEED PO")

I really appreciate all of these suggestions but none of them has change the #error output.

I am stumped.

And this ?
=IIf(Trim([Customer PO] & "") = ""), "NEED PO", [Customer PO])

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

OOps, sorry for the typo:
=IIf(Trim([Customer PO] & "") = "", "NEED PO", [Customer PO])

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I change the isnull expression from the report to the query and it works. I don't know why it won't work in the report but I am getting the results I want.

Thanks to all. If anyone knows why it would not work in the report, I would like to know.

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back