Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Iif isnull doesn't return 0 values 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmshik

Technical User
Feb 7, 2002
US
I have tried numerous variations of this query, to no avail.
Weather table contains many fields including dates and rain amount per date. I need a result that will list the calendar week, and the count of days that had rain>0, including ALL the week numbers ie: Calendar Wk#18 had no days with rain and I want that to show. Thank you for any help!!!

SELECT DatePart("ww",[date],2,2) AS KW, count(IIf(IsNull([rain]),0,[rain])) AS CtRain
FROM apg
WHERE (((Year([date])) Between 1993 And 2002))
GROUP BY DatePart("ww",[date],2,2)
HAVING sum(rain)>0;

You should use a SUM aggregate function and sum 0 or 1 in the query rather than count 0 or [Rain]. If you want to show weeks with zero rain days then remove the Having clause.

SELECT
DatePart("ww",[date],2,2) AS KW,
Sum(IIf(IsNull([Rain]) Or [Rain]=0,0,1)) AS CtRain
FROM apg
GROUP BY DatePart("ww",[date],2,2);

Alternately, if your version of Access has the Nz function you can rewrite as follows. The NZ function will substitue 0 for null and simplify the query.

SELECT
DatePart("ww",[date],2,2) AS KW,
Sum(IIf(NZ([Rain],0)=0,0,1)) AS CtRain
FROM apg
GROUP BY DatePart("ww",[date],2,2); Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Tlbroadbent, THANK YOU!!!
You have saved me so much time!
jmshik

Hi tlbroadbent AGAIN!
This query worked perfect in Access, thank you! But when I attempt to import the result w/MsQuery from Excel, it tells me I can't access the table! I have used msquery, extensively, and never had this problem. I tried creating new queries, in new .mdb's, still the same result ONLY with this query!
Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back