Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ignoring Trigger Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrWolf

MIS
Mar 19, 2001
I have a trigger that is supposed to send an e-mail notification but on rare occassions it fails which causes the record not to get added. This is definitely not something I want to have happen. What is the easiest method to just ignore the error so the transaction is committed?

Thanks for the help!

What you want to do is just band-aid the issue. I would find out what the error is and fix that, instead of just trying to ignore it.

My goal is to find the problem, but so far it only happens once every few weeks and I've been unable to find the source of the issue. I can certainly write a record, but I'm not certain it will get written as I don't beleive the e-mail is the problem, but the data it's retrieving. I suppose I can run that data retrieval through the SP called by the job. I'm still hoping for a temporary patch to ignore the error though. Should I assume that no response means there is no way to ignore it.

We had triggers fail silently while executing code that was trying to pull nulls into columns that did not allow them.

"Teamwork means never having to take all the blame yourself."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back