Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ignoring Character Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasd

Programmer
Jan 14, 2005
IE
Hi

I am having a problem with character returns in SQL. I am extracting data from a database and one of the address colunns that i am extracting the data from contains character returns within the text. this is throwing my results out of sync and I cannot see the end of some of the address. Does anyone know if there is any way that I can ignore the character returns or skip over them.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Kindest Regards
Lasd

you just need to replace spaces and tabs using

Replace() function....

-DNG

Thanks for that reply... i was trying to use the replace function yesterday but i am not sure how to represent the character return in the replace function. for eg

replace(profile.abstract,',','')
this will replace the comma's within the address but how do i ask it to look for the character return(which is represented by a little box) in the address

thanks in advance
lasd

Try these:

Replace(profile.abstract,vbcrlf,'')

Replace(profile.abstract,chr(10),'')

Replace(profile.abstract,chr(13),'')

-DNG

Hi

Thanks for that, that is working but one question.

select replace(profile.abstract,CHR(10),'')||' '|| TRIM(components.path)

Above is the code I am using to replace chr(10)with a space. This is working fine but i also want to get rid of the chr(13) from this string profile.abstract. I can't concatenate another replace statement as this will just add in the address again without the character return. so the address would then be repeated twice.
do you know how i would tackle this?
thanks in advance

lasd

use nested replace statements...

Select replace(replace(profile.abstract,chr(10),''),chr(13),'')

-DNG

Thanks so much.
this works perfectly.

many thanks

Lasd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back