Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ifconfig: cannot open link "bge0": DLPI link does not exist 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrow

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
US
In Solaris10 I changed NIC drivers from bge0 to bcme0 via package install with no problems. I disassociated bge and after a reboot and some hostname changes new driver loaded OK.

Now trying to rollback after unplumb and downing bcme0 I cannot plumb bge0
ifconfig bge0 plumb
ifconfig: cannot open link "bge0": DLPI link does not exist

It looks like the other driver bcme has removed numerous refrences to bge. This directory is now empty
/devices/pci@0,0/pci8086,3604@1/pci8086,3500@0/pci8086,3514@1/pci1166,103@0

and prtconf -v|grep bge shows nothing configured.

Probably need a download from Broadcom, unless anyone knows how to retrieve / reinstall....

Thanks

I am not sure but something that comes to mind is path_to_inst. I would grep for bge and bcme in path_to_inst and see what is associated with the path.

Maybe you could delete the reference and boot -r to see if it reclaims the path as bge?

Again just a quick thought but not sure what would happen. I would make a copy of path_to_inst before doing anything if you do.

BGE can be downloaded and that will fix problem. BCME is not fully supported on Solaris 10 10/09 using Blades. A new BGE is being worked on I believe by Oracle and will replace BCME, that's it and thanks for your input cndadams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back