Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If you can read this, your brain works 50% faster than others 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjoubert

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
US
I remember reading this before...not sure if it was here...if it's a repost, I apologize.

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

If you can read this, your brain is 50% faster than those who can't.

I haven't found anything to confirm that an actual university study looked specifically at letter order.

Incidentally, here is a response from a Cambridge University researcher.

Aardvark92

Have a star for a fascinating link

Snuv

"If it could have gone wrong earlier and it didn't, it ultimately would have been beneficial for it to have." : Murphy's Ultimate Corollary

Nice proof, KornGeek and aardvark92!

I hadn't investigated further, as it seems to prrove itself so nicely. I just thought, that it could get harder, if the words get longer, as in german texts, but I also knew the german translation that reads quite fine.

Still it is an example, that shows you can read a text with much spelling errors, there is much redundancy in the words we use (also a reason for the good compression rate you can get with texts, not only based on the limited character set needed, but also on the excessive use of vowels and the use of certain letter combinations as th, sh, ch, oo, ey, ly, qu, etc.), the rules what's still readable are just too simplified.

Bye, Olaf.

KornGeek said:
Since when does "research" have the same letters between the first and last as "rscheearch"?

Good catch. I just copied the text from some other source on the net and pasted it into this post.

I believe it was supposed to be "researcher" instead of "research?"

< M!ke >
I am not a hamster and life is not a wheel.

resercher has no two c and two h. And it violates, that the first and last letter must stay as first an last letter.

Just looking at the content of the site link:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Or rather...

According to a researcher (sic) at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.

< M!ke >
I am not a hamster and life is not a wheel.

IMO, the arrangement of letters doesn't affect my ability to read the examples in KornGeeks post nearly as much as the length of the word or how frequently I see or use the word.

And some sequences or lists would be extremely easy regardless of positioning because you already have expectations limiting the considered words.

fsrit, snoced, trihd, ftruoh ect...
bule, ylelow, geren, plprue

But my opinion may be tainted by years of training via my horrible spelling.

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

I was actually trained to write backwards in the US Navy, putting up information on edge-lit plexiglas (perspex) boards with grease pencils. It was a week-long unit in radar school in the early 1970's. I can still do it quite easily.

People who use morse code hear entire words or phrases when they are expert "copiers". I passed a general class amateur radio license test when code was required, but never attained any real ability with it.

John

Mundus Vult Decipi

I'll admit that this is just another urban legend, but ever since I came across it the first time, I [green]h[/green]av[red]e[/red] [green]s[/green]tarte[red]d[/red] [green]w[/green]onderin[red]g[/red] [green]i[/green][red]f[/red] [green]t[/green]her[red]e[/red] [green]m[/green]a[red]y[/red] [green]b[/green][red]e[/red] [green]s[/green]om[red]e[/red] [green]v[/green]alu[red]e[/red] [green]i[/green][red]n[/red] [green]t[/green]hi[red]s[/red] [green]t[/green]ric[red]k[/red] [green]f[/green]o[red]r[/red] [green]r[/green]eader[red]s[/red] [green]s[/green]ufferin[red]g[/red] [green]f[/green]ro[red]m[/red] [green]d[/green]yslexi[red]a[/red]? [green]A[/green]nyon[red]e[/red] [green]c[/green]ar[red]e[/red] [green]t[/green][red]o[/red] [green]c[/green]ommen[red]t[/red] [green]o[/green][red]n[/red] [green]t[/green]hi[red]s[/red]?

p5

All the other words I relatively quickly puzzled out, but what is "precostandsoy"?

[COLOR=#aa88aa black]Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.[/color]

p5wizard,

unfortunately I don't have red/green glasses to see how yoiur colored text would look, if one eye could see the first and the other the last letters only. I think I would do it the other way around and make those letter black and the middle ones red/green. Perhaps randomly, perhaps half and half.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf,

I think the theory with the red/green is that the dyslexic person is given color cues about what's the beginning of a word and what's the end. If you put black at the ends and mix up the red and green randomly in the middle, what kind of helpful cue is that going to give to someone who mixes up the letters in a word already?

[COLOR=#aa88aa black]Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.[/color]

I think the theory with the red/green is that the dyslexic person is given color cues about what's the beginning of a word and what's the end.

Can a dyslexic person be also color-blind? What kind of helpful cue would all this red/green stuff give to someone like that? It can probably confuse even a non-dyslexic color-blind person, I would guess.

I think p5 is saying because the text is fairly legible so long as the first and last letters are placed correctly it may allow a dyslexic to identify the first and last letter by color and they could read it such as we have read the original post. Imagine the additional difficulty in trying to read the OP with the first and last letters being included in the shuffling.

It's an interesting thought p5 but I have no expirience with dyslexia to provide a comment on its usefullness.

I also think I should have continued to read the thread prior to my posting as E*E already provided the same summary [blush]

MrMilson, Erik

I understand what p5 is saying, but I also understand what Olaf is saying.

I am neither dyslexic nor color-blind, and my head spins from those red and green letters. They actually are less, not more, visible than the black ones; and rather detract, not add to the readability of the word. In the word dyslexia the first thing I read is 'yslexi', then the eye goes to last a, and then only it notices the first d. Don't you experience something similar?

As Olaf said, I would put beginning and the end in black, and the middle letters would make ... blue.

dyslexia

Or even better, make the first and last ones bold.

dyslexia

Looks more readable to me.

Stella740pl said:
They actually are less, not more, visible than the black ones; and rather detract, not add to the readability of the word.
Oh believe me I don't have any attachment to the red/green theory at all. I was just offering as how t[green]h[/green][red]es[/red]e k[red]i[/red][green]n[/green]d of l[green]et[/green][red]t[/red][green]e[/green][red]r[/red]s didn't seem [green]a[/green]n[red]y[/red] [green]b[/green]ette[red]r[/red] [green]t[/green]ha[red]n[/red] [green]t[/green]hes[red]e[/red].

They are both hard to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back