Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IF statements and CREATE TABLE statements

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenLeach

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
US
I have an IF statement whereby a tempory table is created by a SELECT INTO command. If the IF statement evaluates to true then the data for the temporary table comes from one source and if the IF statement is FALSE then the data comes from a second source. The name of the temporary table is the same regardless.

e.g.

IF @value = 0
BEGIN
SELECT * INTO #Temp FROM TableA
END
ELSE
BEGIN
SELECT * INTO #Temp FROM TableB
END

When I run this I get an error stating that the table #Temp already exists.

It is as if when doing a SELECT INTO, SQL ignores the IF. I have check the IF statement is valid by replacing the SELECT INTO's with SELECT 'Case A' and SELECT 'Case B'.

Does anyone have any ideas or come across similar problems?

Before your IF add a line that says

if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'[dbo].[#Temp]') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsUserTable') = 1)
drop table [dbo].[#Temp]

Thanks

J. Kusch

hi
just change the table name to #temp1
and the other #temp2

Jay,

Thanks I'll give it a go

---------------------------

pgtek,

I need to to refer to the tempory table later so I need it to have the same name regardless of where the data comes from. I didn't make that clear. Thanks anyway

Stephen

Create the temp table first then do the if part and use an insert statement instead of select into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back