Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

if statement within select statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyB

Programmer
Mar 13, 2001
US
I'm fairly new to Oracle. Can I put an "if" statement within my "select" statement to determine what value i'm returning?

for example:

select
field 1,
field 2,
field 3,
if field 4 in (select field 1 from TABLE 2)
(here I want to return string "Yes")
else
(here I want to return string "No")
end if,
field 5
from Table 1

Basically, I need to return a Yes if this record's ID exists in another table. I thought using an if statement within my select statement would be a way to do it, but I can't figure out the syntax.

Thanks

There's probably quite a few ways to accomplish this. Here's one:

Code:
SELECT   field_1, field_2, field_3,
         NVL(  (SELECT   distinct 'Yes' 
                FROM     Table_2  
                WHERE    Table_2.field_1 = Table_1.field_4),
             'No') Yes_No, field_5
FROM     Table_1

SFVB:

Thanks!! I think this is a good solution to solve my current problem.

But for future reference, in Oracle can you put an "if" statement within a select statement?

the closest to an if in SQL is decode(), for a real if you need PL/SQL and it still is not inside the SQL I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

HI,
No, SqlPlus does not recognize IF as a valid operator.
( It can be used in PL/Sql code )
[profile]

PS
goto
and look into the many commands and options you CAN use in SqlPLus..

Thanks everyone....Turkbear...i'll check that out.

Actually new as of 8.1.6 (I think) there is something like an IF that can be used within a Select and that is a CASE expression. Here is an example of a statement that uses it:

The following statement finds the average salary of all employees in the EMP table. If an employee's salary is less than $2000, the CASE expression uses $2000 instead.

SELECT AVG(CASE WHEN e.sal > 2000 THEN e.sal ELSE 2000 END) from emp e;

In 8i there are limitations, such as you can't use this within PL/SQL unless you use Dynamic SQL. I think this problem is fixed in 9i.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back