Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If I delete mail from server it deletes from Windows Live Mail too 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have a gmail account. I use Windows Live Mail to read my messages on my PC, but when I delete the messages on the actual server, they get removed from my Windows Live Mail inbox too. How can I stop this ?

I want the email to remain locally on my PC in WLM, but want to delete the copy on the server...

Thanks in advance.

Don't use IMAP to connect to the server and read your mail..

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Is there no setting to change if I do use IMAP ?

Nope. IMAP reads the messages from the server, it does not download them to the local machine, delete them from the server and they are gone, permanently!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

delete them from the server and they are gone, permanently!
Maybe a bit of an overstatement. The NSA will have a copy as will your mail provider on a backup somewhere. You know what they say, "old emails never die, they just come back to haunt you later".

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

If using IMAP you should create some categorized folders for long-term storage, and backup, on your local machine. When you move an email from the local Inbox, or Sent, to one of the new folders, removing it from the local Inbox, it will also be erased from the Inbox on the server. IMAP only syncs the Inbox and Sent folders (maybe a couple of others). It's more flexible than Pop since it syncs the current email (Inbox, Sent) across your devices until you decide to store them locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back