Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If ... End If shortcut key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jubble

Programmer
Mar 6, 2002
GB
Bit of a long shot but you never know if you don't ask...

Does anyone know of a quick way to find the starting "IF something THEN" command from an "Else" or "End If" command?

Bear with me...

We've all been in the position where an If..Else..End If block can have hundreds of lines of code in the block and it can have multiple inner If...End If blocks.

If I see an "Else" or "End If" that I'm debugging the only way to find the original "IF" command is to judge indent width which can be a real pain if there's "With" and "If" and "Do" blocks all over the place.

I don't suppose there's a quicker solution something like Ctrl-Shift-F2 to go to a variable decalaration?

This may or may not be what you are looking for...

Dev Express has a product called "CodeRush" that does what is called Structural Highlighting. See pic below for an example:

StructuralHighlightingInCSharp.gif

Hope this helps

Thanks!

Coderush looks like a cool piece of software.

We've actually used Dev express components in the past without a hitch - I didn't know they had so much on offer these days.

Oh, really? What products of DevExpress have you used? I just started using the .NET Windows Components suite. I really like the product. It looks like they have put a lot of thought into their products.

I don't know about in VB.NET, but in C# you can position the cursor on the brace character and hit Ctrl+] or Ctrl+[ to go to the matching brace.

Chip H.

What products of DevExpress have you used?

We use the Tree List suite. It was thrown in at the last minute because a diagram flow control to allow the user to build a structure was deemed a bit difficult for some users so we needed a tree view option for the difficult users.
As anyone knows usually when you throw in a new control in the last minute all types of issues crop up but this control just slid in ;-)
Actually most bad experiences with controls go back to VB6. .Net really raised the bar on standards for 3rd party controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back