Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IExplore General Protection Fault? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry625

Technical User
Nov 3, 2001
US
When attempting to run McAfee optimizer I get this messsage posted and I get booted off

"IEXPLORE caused a general protection fault
in module V128IID.DRV at 0002:0000b3d5.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0337 EIP=0000b3d5 EFLGS=00000212
EBX=0000001e SS=3b3f ESP=000091ca EBP=000091ec
ECX=00000029 DS=45df ESI=00001456 FS=0000
EDX=00000062 ES=20d7 EDI=00292f80 GS=0357
Bytes at CS:EIP:
67 0f 6f 46 08 66 83 c6 10 67 26 0f 7f 0f 67 26
Stack dump:
00001916 00000001 00000010 00080000 00001880 0000001e 00000031
00000000 922605cf 045f4a3a 45df0194 00001324 00000001 45e70000
00001916 00000194"

I am using Windows 98se O/S & I am using BellSouth DSL. My IEXPLORER is provided by America On Line. I have no problem getting most anywhere on the net but to this particular service. Has anyone a suggestion as to how I can remedy this problem? I have checked threads on this subject but cannot find anything refering to THIS particular general protection fault with Windows 98se. Thanks for any info you can shed on this.

See if updating your video card's drivers helps.

If not, then reduce the video card's acceleration.

Thanks Ski BUT I haven,t a clue as to where to find this "VIDEO CARD" or let alone "UPDATE IT".Can you elaborate a wee bit more??

This video card appears to be something involving "GAMES" etc. This McAfee optimizer program I am attempting to use is a program to optimize my P/C hardware and components.(i.e. check them for possible problems)

V128IID.DRV is a driver for your video card. A driver is a small software program that allows a system's hardware components(the video card is one) to communicate with Windows.
However, sometimes old drivers have problems with certain Windows components, i.e., the error message in your initial post indicates that your video card's driver has a conflict with IEXPLORE. And sometimes updating the driver will solve the conflict.
But you need to know who made your video card, and which driver version it's using in order to check if it's using the latest drivers.

To determine the manufacturer of your video card, right click on 'My Computer', click Properties, click Device Manager, and click the + next to 'Display Adapters'.
Then, to determine which driver version the video card is using, double click on the video card in Dev. Mgr., click the Driver tab, click 'Driver File Details', and look at 'File Version:' (There may be multiple drivers listed for the card, so make sure to highlight a driver file that has the card's manuf's name, and not Microsoft, next to 'Provider:')

Next, go the card manuf's website, and look for either a 'Driver' or 'Download' link(Note: If your system is from Dell or another computer manuf., then check its website for drivers. Also, if the video card is built into the MB, then check the MB manuf's site for drivers. You can find out which MB you have by d/l AIDA32).
If neither of those links are on the Home page, then look for a 'Support' link and check there for the above links. Also, make sure that you d/l the correct drivers for your O/S.
If your card's current driver version as determined above is the same as the version of the latest driver, then your card is using the latest ones, and you do not have to d/l any.
If your card's drivers are an earlier version than the ones available at the site, then d/l and install the latest ones.

To install the new drivers, start in Safe mode by holding down the Ctrl key during startup, select Safe mode from the menu using the arrow keys, press Enter, click OK to the warning, go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs, highlight your card's driver software on the Install/Uninstall page, and click the Add/Remove button.
After the old drivers are finished uninstalling, then restart in Normal mode, run the driver file that you d/l(it should be a self-executing .exe file) to install the new drivers, and restart the computer to finish the installation.

Thanks Ski!! I think this may be what I have been looking for. Will let you know if problem is resolved.

Thanks Ski! I "Finally" managed to find the elusive STB Velocity 4400 video card and it's update on the Gateway web site. One has to be a real detective to get to the correct sub-basements that hide these things, but I succeded and now that damn "IEXPLORE FAULT PROTECTION" no longer appears!
Let me know if you have read this as I am not sure you return to these OLD posts. I did give you a * vote for your help.!!!

You're welcome.
Glad to hear that you fixed the problem, and thanks for posting back with the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back