Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IEEE not enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungheid

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
US
I have a Packard BEll I-Xtrememe PC that has a firewire connection at the front with a sticker next to it saying IEEE not enabled, I cannot see anything for IEEE in the Device manager and so my PC cannot see my iPod through the firewire- anyone know how I can see this connection?

Thanks

I suspect it is an empty socket with no controller behind it.

Thanks,

What would I need to do to enable it?

Probably get an add-on card for the computer. Most have a couple of ports on the back of the card, and one internal connection for a front connector.

If the 1394 controller really existed, it would appear in Device Manager. Even if disabled, it would still appear. The fact that XP does not recognize the device at all suggests that there is no controller, only a front panel cutout with no controller inside to make it of any use to you unless you follow micker377's suggestion.

Thanks for that, looks like I'll need to splash out on a new card- can you get ones for infra red connection in the same PCMI card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back